Your Favourite non-brew Related Book?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
My tip - don't read any of MR James' stories when you are in the house alone at night.

Haha!
Spend a lot of time travelling with work,staying alone in twin [edit] hotel [/edit] rooms.

The audiobook of Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You My Lad was always a fun accompaniment! :)

Hi!
In my youth, I used to read in bed before going to sleep. When I read "Salem's Lot" and it was time to go to sleep, I left the light on!

The Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs is a good read. Originally published between 1912-1943 a bit dated at times but still really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The wasp factory" First book that made me want to read another..

I forgot that a while back I read Silence by Shusaku Endo (it was recently released as a movie but I've not seen it). It isn't my usual type of book but it was fantastic, a little hard going in places and pretty brutal, but beautifully written and quite powerful.
As a bit of change of pace I'm currently reading one of George RR Martin's pre-GoT books, a SF called Tuf Voyaging. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Friday Night Lights - H.G Bissinger
A story about highschool american football in small town Texas during the late 80s. Inspired a film and tv series of the same name. A fantastic read and i'm always astounded how the shoulders of these 17 and 16 year olds carried the hopes and dreams of the town they were from and were treated more like pro athletes than school children participating in extra curricular activities.

The Naked Jape - Lucy Greaves
A detailed look at how jokes work, why they work and who they work on. Very interesting book exploring humor in its various guises and how each type of joke and humor situation works.

The Blind Side - Micheal Lewis
Fascinating story about how a middleclass white family took in a child from a black family to play football for their highschool football team. Due to his size and strength and how the NFL game has evolved he was heavily scouted. Interesting human interest story combined with an in depth look at how NFL players are getting bigger

Fascinating story about how a middleclass white family took in a child from a black family to play football for their highschool football team. Due to his size and strength and how the NFL game has evolved he was heavily scouted. Interesting human interest story combined with an in depth look at how NFL players are getting bigger[/QUOTE]

Currently reading Moneyball by Micheal Lewis which again is a fascinating book. I have little or no knowledge of baseball but one thing that is clear ready the book is even avid supports have little knowledge of how the sport works. It is much more detailed than the film of the same name and is a great insight on how stats and figures that were important 50 years ago aren't anymore, even though most people think they are still relevant.

Next up are a couple of books of articles and essays by Stewart Lee (comedy god) and Charlie Brooker (genius).

It is a step away from my usual reading which is a lot of fantasy and sci-fi, authors like Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt and Philip K Dick, I always have one of those on the go.

Fascinating story about how a middleclass white family took in a child from a black family to play football for their highschool football team. Due to his size and strength and how the NFL game has evolved he was heavily scouted. Interesting human interest story combined with an in depth look at how NFL players are getting bigger

Currently reading Moneyball by Micheal Lewis which again is a fascinating book. I have little or no knowledge of baseball but one thing that is clear ready the book is even avid supports have little knowledge of how the sport works. It is much more detailed than the film of the same name and is a great insight on how stats and figures that were important 50 years ago aren't anymore, even though most people think they are still relevant.

Next up are a couple of books of articles and essays by Stewart Lee (comedy god) and Charlie Brooker (genius).

It is a step away from my usual reading which is a lot of fantasy and sci-fi, authors like Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt and Philip K Dick, I always have one of those on the go.[/QUOTE]

The Blindside book is very much the same. Hugely detailed and more gripping than the film imo

Moneyball the film is definitely more about the people, the book focuses on the theory behind the whole process.

Basically a Harvard maths genius looks at the baseball stats and thinks people are valuing the wrong things and therefore those things become expensive and un-affordable for the poorer teams.

He argues that instead of paying 1 million dollars for 1 person who can score a run you should pay $200,000 each for 5 people who's performance gets half a run. That way, over the course of a season you score more runs and win more games.

Moneyball the film is definitely more about the people, the book focuses on the theory behind the whole process.

Basically a Harvard maths genius looks at the baseball stats and thinks people are valuing the wrong things and therefore those things become expensive and un-affordable for the poorer teams.

He argues that instead of paying 1 million dollars for 1 person who can score a run you should pay $200,000 each for 5 people who's performance gets half a run. That way, over the course of a season you score more runs and win more games.

I actually really enjoyed the movie so I'll keep an eye out for book :thumb:

Yeah, Moneyball is a good read. I'm just an NFL nut so i preferred the blind side :P

Back