Tidal lagoon: £1.3bn Swansea Bay project backed by review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting read on the BBC but are they like wind farms a nice idea but not up to the job?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NF007w8qeg[/ame]

So it's chop up a few fish vs. long term non-fossil fuel sourced energy. My money is on the anglers, knowing how things progress in the UK
We have been kicking the idea of tidal power about for decades. The Severn Barrage is one such scheme. It should have been built years ago. The technology is there but not the political will.
Cost, well Chelsea have today announced they are spending £500m on a new stadium. Draw your own conclusions.:doh:

Interesting read on the BBC but are they like wind farms a nice idea but not up to the job?

no,it's good and more predicatable than solar or wind power at least for about a billion years or so :eek:

the moon is moving slowly away from the earth slowing it down and slowly weakening the tides, don't ya know :hmm:

In a later video it says - 26 turbines each producing "up to" 16 megawatts an hour 4 times a day.

It's about time we harnessed the potential energy that crashes onto our shores every day. We are capable and I'm excited to see this happen.

...yeah but will it? It's like the fracking...they won't deploy the energy they'll sell it to the highest bidders...which ever country it is...fact.

Cheers

Clint

It's about time we harnessed the potential energy that crashes onto our shores every day. We are capable and I'm excited to see this happen.

Totally agree. :thumb:

The Cardiff scheme is said to be able to power all of Wales and for a lot cheaper than nuclear.

If that is the case i find it annoying that for years there has been discussion on connecting Barrow with Morecambe saving a very long trip on the congested A590 to join the M6 at Crooklands (junction 36) the amount of money it would cost to build always seems to be the stumbling block.

map.jpg

It should be built because it will definitely pay for itself as it will save the cost of importing oil, coal and nuclear materials for other power generation. Also if you get a new main road to speed up journeys that will make it more worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been really close to this from an engineering point of view and I'm 100% behind it. It will produce a huge amount of electricity in a predictable and manageable fashion. And it will potentially create a new industry which the uk will be the world leader in [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

........ It will produce a huge amount of electricity in a predictable and manageable fashion. And it will potentially create a new industry which the uk will be the world leader in [emoji1303]

Agree ... :thumb:

... but then we will either be overtaken by another country (just like happened with almost everything else we have invented or developed) ... :doh:

... or, if it is successful, the government will sell it off to their mates at a discounted price after the taxpayer has taken all the risks. :doh:

There I go being cynical again! :whistle: :whistle:

Agree ... :thumb:

... but then we will either be overtaken by another country (just like happened with almost everything else we have invented or developed) ... :doh:

... or, if it is successful, the government will sell it off to their mates at a discounted price after the taxpayer has taken all the risks. :doh:

There I go being cynical again! :whistle: :whistle:

Absolutely. Like this government (or any other for the past 30 years) are interested in the good of the polulace rather than lining there own and their mates pockets

..it'll be contracted out to some where no one has ever heard of,take decades to get done and we'll be charged handsomely for it...same old flannel..1000's of jobs...blah blah blah blah blah. .depends who's scratching who's back....

I forgot to add to my map post above the bridge could generate electricity but that as far as I know was not the original intention, I hope common sense prevails and we get it sooner rather than later.

I forgot to add to my map post above the bridge could generate electricity but that as far as I know was not the original intention, I hope common sense prevails and we get it sooner rather than later.
We might have to build a few more aircraft carriers before that happens :whistle:

We might have to build a few more aircraft carriers before that happens :whistle:

with chinese reconditioned steel, hmm and another will have to be made a couple of years later..lol

There would be a contract with the national grid.

This. It would likely be built under a DBO (design build operate) PFI contract. Public fund it and designer, builder, operator are all contracted. In order to secure funding, terms of operation would be agreed.

Just a rumour but I heard that every home in the North East* will be eligible for a subsidised kite from the Government that can be connected to the National grid.
That should close the north-South divide (until they start taxing string that is!)

*North East is a region of Great Britain where trains were invented and the only region NOT to benefit from the expansion of HS2 high speed trains, stopping at Leeds/Sheffield well, well short of the Scottish Border. We have been devolved almost to the point of exclusion!

Latest posts

Back