Home Brew Shops in London?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcacogp

Reaction score
Chaps,

Slightly desperate post here ... I have a brew underway - it's in the keg at the mo - but my CO2 cylinder has run out and I can't find anyone to refill it / swap it for another one!

It's a Hambledon Bard S30, and I'm in E3 (East London). I have spoken with Hambledon Bard themselves who told me to call Youngs in Birmingham; Youngs said the nearest one is in Hornchurch (dread to think how long it would take to get there - probably quite a long time.)

So, does anyone know any Home Brew Shops nearer to me than Hornchurch? (In my quest to find someone to refill my cylinder I have found that BOC don't deal with anything this small, and I don't have an account anyway, and Sodastream cylinders are a different fitting to HB.)

All suggestions welcome - thanks.

(Subsiduary question; my keg is full, and I think there is a tiny amount of pressure in it from the old cylinder, but it was kegged about 5 days ago - am I likely to have ruined it already?)

Oli.

I live in E17 mate and i dont know anyone who does refills closer than that. Hornchurch is close as you would likely get - if you know exactly where i would appriciate it as i need to refill mine shortly.

Last time i refilled i went to Colchester.

As for the brew, aslong as you racked it with some priming suger it will be fine - it creates CO2 while racked, you only need to fill CO2 when your drinking from it to stop the air syphoning back in via the tap, you will know if this happens because of the huge bubble noise. Good hunting!

+1 Caerleon

I'm in N13 .. there's bugger all near us at all!

:cry:

Caerleon,

A local boy! (ish). Thanks for your reply.

The place in Hornchurch is a chemist (I've just spoken with them but forgot to ask the name of the shop). It's at 67-69 Park Lane, Hornchurch, RM11 1BH. Tel 01708 745943, and I've just spoken with Paula (who was very helpful). They knew the cylinder and called it a "Super 30", and knew it was for homebrewing. They are open from 9.0am-6.0pm Monday - Saturday, and it sounds like they have a number in stock. Refills are £5.99, new full cylinders were £20 (I think).

And, if they are really the closest to me, it looks like I'll be going there tomorrow or Friday!

What's priming sugar? I used sugar when I make the brew originally (from a kit - I am a complete beginner) but haven't added any since. Should I be worried?

Thanks again for your help.

Oli.

I know hindsight is a horrible thing and i only live 10mins from the colchester homebrew shop, but would it be wise to invest in a 2nd gas bottle to avoid the panic when it runs out? I must point out, i still only have one and will panic when mine runs out :wha:

zcacogp said:
What's priming sugar? I used sugar when I make the brew originally (from a kit - I am a complete beginner) but haven't added any since. Should I be worried?
Ok not to worry - if you followed your instructions you should be fine - but if this is your first kit, how has your bottle run out??? :wha:

Just make sure that the barrel is sealed well and the lid is on tight - the CO2 buildup inside will keep your beer for a few months - you only need to use the CO2 when your dispensing - oh and dont make the same mistake i made - if its running slow DONT add gas if the tap is open otherwise your be wearing your beer! :oops: I did this recently hehe

Caerleon,

Good Q! I was given the kit by my dad, but the cylinder was second-hand and not full when I got it. And I have used it a bit to test out the keg to make sure that there are no leaks anywhere.

I'm still disappointed that it packed up the moment it was due to be used in anger tho'!

(Orange, yes, a spare is a great idea. I'm thinking seriously about getting one for that purpose, although they aren't cheap.)

Oli.

Tony said:
+1 Caerleon

I'm in N13 .. there's bugger all near us at all!

:cry:

I'm not far from you either - N20, 1 mile past Arnos Grove Tube coming off the north circular.

I buy all my stuff off the internet - Brewmart in Sheffield are excellent. I have 2 of the cylinders so that I never run out, and ss soon as one empties I return it to them just before placing a new order. Delivery is free if you spend over £60, they charge £18.99 for an S30 cylinder and £3.99 to refill it.

Back