Unsure about my Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best flavour yet is a thumb sized piece of ginger grated and 4-5 black pepper corns crushed.

One of our friends is a 'mixologist' or cocktail maker. He suggested it, and it was the best yet. Might do it to the one I've got going now. ;-)
Is that added to the mead?

I like the sound of ginger and pepper a lot. Maybe hot chillies as well. Just racked my 7 jar mead and its 1060. Gonna get a starter going and see if it will go again or its going into pale ales i think. Maybe i should soak my vanilla pods in it as well?

Yes after the first racking. Then left in there a month or two then once it sinks to the bottom racked again. Or of course when you feel the flavour is enough to your own liking.
I did it! Added the ginger and peppercorns! Tried a little of the mead and it was a bit bland, so thought what the hell, do it.

Cool. Just leave it for a while or sneak a taster here and there until your satisfied. One of the best I've done so far.

7 jars of honey 2.38kg finished at 1050. Very sweet but nice as a small desert wine. Will blend some with my dry mead and find something in between. Drinking some Melomel now and even though its dry FG994 its still got a little sweetness. Very nice wine after 4months in the bottle. Making as much of this as i can and as i don't drink much of it its easy to leave alone.

4 jars of honey 1360g and 1 jar of Scandinavian berry jam 350g. ABV 16.54% . 2 months old cleared without finings. A really nice drop if i say so myself. Worth a crack if you have never tried it. :)

sdgdx 022.jpg

4 jars of honey 1360g and 1 jar of Scandinavian berry jam 350g. ABV 16.54% . 2 months old cleared without finings. A really nice drop if i say so myself. Worth a crack if you have never tried it. :)

Mmmm adding jam, the shop has plenty jam reduced. The amount of money I spend there the guy actually gives me the reduced stuff for free.

Will deffo try this!

Mmmm adding jam, the shop has plenty jam reduced. The amount of money I spend there the guy actually gives me the reduced stuff for free.

Will deffo try this!

I am amazed at the quality of it to be honest. I am fussy what i drink but i even like the sweet stuff. It also ages really well so i will be getting some proper bottles and corks and saving some of the bottles for a few years.
I am gonna do 2 jars of jam and 3 honey next time. Even though this got down to 993 there is still a little sweet fruity flavour.
I have dumped this mixture into beer before and it also came out very tasty.

I accidentally added stabiliser to the wrong demijohn and ended up with an Apricot Melomel which finished at 1045. It actually tastes really good even though its too sweet to drink much of. A very fruity flavour. Would be great for dare i say it cocktails and its brilliant for sweetening cider. A glug in the bottom of the glass and it becomes very drinkable.

I brew a wine, 3 jars of honey + one litre of apple juice and suger
Very nice very strong

Not realy, but I smoked for 40 years, taste buds are ****
3x jars of honey = 826g of suger
1x apple juice = 114 g of suger
800g of suger
SG 1.150
FG 1.035
15.62 ABV
Tastes very nice to me
I've got a second one fermenting away, but with 850g of suger

Back