Recommended home-brew stores - Online and local

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough. That was the Homebrew Company. They're an Irish company (although I think they sell to UK) an happened to be going near their shop, so thought I'd stop off and do one of my big homebrew purchases. I needed to get some 1/2" tubing and the guy said "is this the size of your hose barbs?" yes very sure it is, and asked if I'd rather silicone or the cheaper type. I asked what the difference was and he said none, go with the cheaper type, which I did, and come brewday hot water was leaking out of every hose joint. I definitely had the right sizes, and I even tried butterfly clips, but water kept leaking.

He said it was my fault and that product is fit for purpose, even though it clearly wasn't. Wouldn't give me a refund.

Malt miller is the best in my opinion. I've had nothing bit good service and any time there's been a problem they've fixed it immediately. They're also the most reliable for timing the shipping and that's important to me as I'm only at home one day each week.

I've used the home brew company, geterbrewed, malt miller and ballihoo and never had a problem with any of them.

I've used Brew UK and Geterbrewed and have been happy with both companies. On company I came accross has loads of stuff at really good prices, although I don't think they do really tiny batches of grain for example. If you're looking for new kit, have a look at thebrewshop.com. I believe they are based in Manchester.

I would like to add that service at most home brew shops is kind of ****. Nearly all places don't respond first time to an issue, and if they sell faulty products then getting a replacement is sometimes like drawing water from a rock.

The exception to this is the home brew shop (.co.uk). Their service is very good and what you'd expect from an online business in the 21st century.

ironic the place you say is the better option came across quite arrogant towards me and my late order. i was having probs ordering online where i was putting a yeast pack into the basket (qty 1) and it was adding the 1kg postage. spoke to an older gent there, the only way to decribe it was like frank spencer trying to negotiate a healthy alternative fruit drink with Oliver Reed. i cant seem to log back on either so im assuming the old boy lost his patience with me

Goin for GEB next as the hops seems very cheap compared to most:smile:

The hops are cheap because they come in 50g packs rather than 100g which most shops do. You can order 100g or more if you want of course

yes myqul I meant even when on 100grams they seemed to be a fair bit cheaper.

ironic the place you say is the better option came across quite arrogant towards me and my late order. i was having probs ordering online where i was putting a yeast pack into the basket (qty 1) and it was adding the 1kg postage. spoke to an older gent there, the only way to decribe it was like frank spencer trying to negotiate a healthy alternative fruit drink with Oliver Reed. i cant seem to log back on either so im assuming the old boy lost his patience with me

Goin for GEB next as the hops seems very cheap compared to most:smile:

I guess nowhere has a 100% track record of service. I have found them to be a little surly over the phone, but when it comes down to it they've always had the time to deal with any issues I've had.

I use brew uk and the home brew shop for online and both have given a first class service. whilst at work I travel across most of southern England and try to pop into local home brew shops. most of them are very helpful and its good to chat. The shop in Faversham is really good and deserves a mention and so is Colchester homebrew.

Latest posts

Back