Autumn Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guillotine

Reaction score
Hi,

I like to brew seasonally, so now Im drinking the lagers and hoppy Ales I brewed in spring. I have lots dark brews planned for winter but nothing specific to Autumn. Im thinking of the Red Ales some brewers make in Autumn. I could be wrong but the general recipe bible that is Greg Hughes does not have any.

Can anyone point me in right direction, or offer any tested recipes?

Thanks,

Milds section has some in the 30s, no? I quite like the look of some of the old strong ales in that book. I'm the same as you and already looking to autumn which is why my next will be a Sarah Hughes clone found in wheeler's book. You can also find the recipe on brewers friend

I wonder if it's a case of going from Solstice to Solstice with very light fizzy ales for the summer one on 21st June all the way down to dark stouts for the winter one on 21st December and then working your way back up again. I never thought of it like this before but it quite appeals to me. I suppose it would also be a case of looking at seasonal hops and yeasts to match the different shades of the beer brewed.

I wonder if it's a case of going from Solstice to Solstice with very light fizzy ales for the summer one on 21st June all the way down to dark stouts for the winter one on 21st December and then working your way back up again. I never thought of it like this before but it quite appeals to me. I suppose it would also be a case of looking at seasonal hops and yeasts to match the different shades of the beer brewed.

I like! :thumb:

I dont think hops are seasonal though, I think their mostly harvested about september (on this side of the world).

I like! :thumb:

I dont think hops are seasonal though, I think their mostly harvested about september (on this side of the world).

I was thinking more Cirtra and the lighter AA hops for summer and the higher AA hops for winter. what about the yeasts though, you'd know a lot more about that than me (and the hops to be honest MQ). What yeast /hop combo for a light spring / summer ale, what for a dark deep autumn ale and what for a mid winter stout?

I was thinking more Cirtra and the lighter AA hops for summer and the higher AA hops for winter. what about the yeasts though, you'd know a lot more about that than me (and the hops to be honest MQ). What yeast /hop combo for a light spring / summer ale, what for a dark deep autumn ale and what for a mid winter stout?

I think you may be onto something. Fruitier/floral types of hops for summer with herbal/spicy types for winter. For yeast, ones that accentuate the hops (like US-05/Wlp001, Vermont Ale) for summer and ones that accentuate the malts (English strains like WLP002) for winter

Back