Wine bottle colour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni9e

Regular.
Reaction score
Does it matter if you bottled white/rose wines in green bottles I ask as I read somewhere that red wines have to go in dark bottles so light doesen't affect the colour of the wine.
Are there any pitfalls bottling white/rose wines in dark bottles?

The red colours in many fruits/veg are unstable, light increases the rate at which it degrades. Dark bottles and dark spaces lengthens the time that the colour persists. As far as i know there isn't a bad reason for keeping whites in dark bottles, many commercial brewers use dark bottles for whites. The only thing i can think of is that a clear bottle shows off the colour and clarity of your wine much better. I would bottle anything with a nice colour (including rose) in dark bottles, maybe put one in a clear bottle and wrap it up so that when you wanna show off you can unwrap it and expose it in all its majesty :oops:

Thanks percival its just i can get free empty bottles of red wine off friends and family and there all dark bottles so it'll save me a few quid :thumb:

Latest posts

Back