Cask carbonation problem ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radley

Reaction score
Hi all,

5 weeks ago made the Morland Old Speckled Hen recipe from Graham Wheeler's 'Brew Your Own'.

Fermented for a week which bought it close to F.G then have had it in the cask for the last 4 weeks. Just pulled a 1/4 pint off and the remainder of the pint glass is full of froth - but the beer itself contains no carbonation and is quite flat (whereas the head is uber-lively !!) Tastes & colours are good (quite clear) - altho now (20 mins after tasting) I have a powdery/furry taste in my mouth ? I'm assuming it's 'green' and needs more time to vent down to normal condition ? I did slowly release some pressure from the cask cap before opening the bottom tap and quite a lot of pressure was present/expelled...

Any help appreciated - my first ever batch so I hope it's not kaputten ! :pray:

Cheers all, Neil.

What tempature are you storing the beer?

If the temp is too high the CO2 will not go in solution as much..... idea temp would be 12ish deg C

I primed with 50g of cane sugar added to the cask before I transferred the beer from the fermenter (30 ltr batch) - I've since read I should of made a syrup with boiling water + sugar and not just added the sugar as is :(

Have just checked the room temp of where I'm storing the beer - 17.2 deg C - too warm I take it ? Will moving the cask to a cooler room for a week(s) have any effect ? Also will bottling it so it can condition further be a remedy ? (altho I was hoping to slurp the lot from cask !!)

Thanks in advance for any help, Neil.

Latest posts

Back