Soundbars for Flat Screen TVs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
Had a HD flat screen TV for sometime now, but the sound is ****. ive always said Id get a soundbar, but never looked into it. I was in Aldi tonight and theyve got one for £40.00...now Im not expecting anything special, at that price, but is it worth buying one for someone is quite deaf and doesnt watch that much TV?

ive looked at loads in currys etc but been disspointed with the sound, i want clarity not so much volume but alot of them are ****,
they have had some good deals in the past, in theory it cant be worse than the tv sound.

I got one for £25 from B&M and it is utter cack... but still an improvement over the tv without it. Unless someone comes up with a specific recommendation I'd advise to spend more without going daft. This is one of those purchases which has bitten me on the **** for being such a tight git.

I bought a Samsung one last year - it's got a wireless sub woofer which I put at the back of the room . It's much better than the TV speaker more noticeably when a film is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I ought to have done is wire the telly to my ten million watt hifi amp and wardrobe-sized speakers. Hmm, just give me a minute...

check out richer sounds they have a good selection...but you'll probably have to pay £100+ and £250++ for something that really sounds decent. Alternatively, if the room isn't too big, Creative Gigaworks T40 speakers are pretty good , even without a subwoofer. We've got 2 sets of these, one for my computer and one for the static caravan where they perform well. You can pick them up for just over £70 on Amazon.

Not a big fan of these virtual surround speakers or bars. They're no where near as good as a traditional 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 setup in my opinion.

check out richer sounds they have a good selection...but you'll probably have to pay �£100+ and �£250++ for something that really sounds decent.
I agree. You get what you pay for.
After quite a bit of research I bought a Sony HT-CT780 which has a Bluetooth subwoofer. Made a huge difference in sound quality. If you want to enjoy deeper bass sounds you need the subwoofer but being Bluetooth there are no wires to compromise it's position. I bought a refurbished sound bar direct from the Sony web site so saved a bit that way and it came with a full years warranty. Two years later it's still working just great.

Back in the nineties I had my playstation 1 hooked up to my then then top of the range VCR which was in turn hooked up to my Sony 5 CD multidisc sound system with surround sound and tweeters.
The sound was unreal and when watching a movie,if only 3d was available then.
Bring back a decent hi-fi unit.
If you have a mini hi-fi you could hook it up👍

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Not a big fan of these virtual surround speakers or bars. They're no where near as good as a traditional 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 setup in my opinion.

Kind of agree - I've got a decent sound bar in my lounge which improves the TV speaker which is all I wanted . But I've also got a man cave cinema which I have 5.1 - that's where I watch the decent blu ray movies for decent cinema sound [emoji106]

I built up a decent 5.1 set-up over the last 15 years..I say decent but audiophile types would call it budget....probably £1k in total...apart from upgrading the av receiver/amp thing when the old one broke, the biggest difference I noticed was when my cheap £100 subwoofer bit the dust and I bought a £250 Gale one (this is several years ago), and the quality of sound that comes out of that is great...not just rumbles and thumps but quite a bit up the bass frequency range.

I connected my TV up to an Ipod speaker dock, which although not great is 100% better than the TV speakers.
The major difference is the bass, which was non-existant in the TV, makes movies sound so much better.

Back