HS2 reveals winners of building contracts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How can the justify spending £6.6bn on the first phase when the NHS is in crisis and we have a public sector pay cap?

The winners of £6.6bn worth of contracts to build the first phase of HS2 between London and Birmingham have been announced by the government.
UK firms Carillion, Costain and Balfour Beatty are among the consortiums who will build tunnels, bridges and embankments on the first stretch of the new high speed rail line.
The contracts will support 16,000 jobs.
The final routes of the Manchester and Leeds branches of HS2 are due to be announced later.
It will include a decision over its path through Sheffield.
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said: "As well as providing desperately needed new seats and better connecting our major cities, HS2 will help rebalance our economy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40627464

Hundreds of residents of a brand new housing development in Yorkshire have been told their homes are likely to be bulldozed as a result of a new route being planned by HS2, the high-speed railway.

On Thursday HS2, which will eventually connect London to the North, announced a new route through South Yorkshire, scrapping a proposed station in Meadowhall in favour of a stop in Sheffield city centre.

Among those affected by the change are 212 families living on a new-build estate in Mexborough, near Doncaster, who have been sent letters telling them that "some or all of their land" may be required if the plans are approved.

Homes on the Shimmer estate, which was first established in 2012, are worth between £99,995 and £190,000.

Strata, the building company behind the development, confirmed that while 166 homes have been built there are still 46 outstanding.

The move has caused upset for hundreds of affected families but has been welcomed by local councils in Sheffield, who have been lobbying the Government on the issue for months in a bid to boost the local economy.

HS2 claims the new route will affect less homes overall, save more than £1bn, and enable people to travel to London from Sheffield in 79 minutes instead of 120 minutes as under previous plans.

Building will start in the mid-2020s and the railway is scheduled to be in operation by 2033.

The letter, addressed to homeowners on the Shimmer estate and written by David Higgins, chairman at HS2, reads: "If this plan is accepted by the Secretary of State for Transport it is likely that the Government would need to aquire some or all of your land and property in order to construct he railway.

"I realize this is likely to be distressing news, particularly as this is a new housing development, and I sincerely apologise for any upset it causes."

Andrew Weaver, Chief Executive of Strata, said: “We are shocked by this news. We have been working on site at Shimmer for a number of years and are immensely proud of the homes that we have built and the community which we have helped to create.

“As you can imagine, we are still trying to digest this information and there are still a number of questions that we are waiting to be answered. However, we are working closely with representatives to understand proposals so that we can be clear on what this may mean for our existing and future home owners.

In a report published yesterday it claimed: "The advantage of this approach is that it better reflects the demand picture in South Yorkshire, where Sheffield city centre, and the area from it to Chesterfield, pre-dominate without impacting on the services to the areas of greater demand to the North: Leeds, York and Newcastle."

[email protected]

Lets throw another few billion at something we don't need right now. :roll:

Former Chancellor George Osborne has urged Prime Minister Theresa May to commit to building high-speed rail lines across the north of England, from Liverpool to Hull.

Mr Osborne said the "HS3" project would be a good way for Mrs May to "relaunch her premiership".
A "full-blown attempt to rebalance the economy of Britain" was needed, he added.
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham welcomed Mr Osborne's intervention.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41007784

From what I can see the reason they didn't go for upgrading the existing routes/infrastructure was it would cost nearly as much, cause more interruptions while doing and not increase capacity by anywhere near as much, though when this was discussed the estimated cost was only 30 billion ish. The plan is supported by labour, tories and lib dems (though they disagree on some details) and opposed by UKIP & greens (for very different reasons). Personally I have no idea if the long term economic benefits will be good enough to outway the costs and I would be surprised if it was cancelled much of the money would filter back to the NHS. Also saw they are digging up 60,000 bodies near Euston for it.

I also suggest we sort out how the current rail network is run so that foreign state owned railway companies are not making a profit on our railways that offer a service barely fit for purpose before we do the same with this.

From what I can see the reason they didn't go for upgrading the existing routes/infrastructure was it would cost nearly as much, cause more interruptions while doing and not increase capacity by anywhere near as much, though when this was discussed the estimated cost was only 30 billion ish. The plan is supported by labour, tories and lib dems (though they disagree on some details) and opposed by UKIP & greens (for very different reasons). Personally I have no idea if the long term economic benefits will be good enough to outway the costs and I would be surprised if it was cancelled much of the money would filter back to the NHS. Also saw they are digging up 60,000 bodies near Euston for it.

I do not believe it would cost nearly as much to sort out what we already have they just want us plebs to believe that so they can railroad their plans through, if our trains carriages were nice places to be sat in would people really be bothered it took a bit longer to get to their destination than the shorter times they have predicted with HS2.

We should have carridges like we did when i was a nipper proper comfort -

4997257300_ff6eb7d150_b.jpg

interior-view-of-a-compartment-inside-an-old-british-railway-carriage-EHWFTH.jpg

I do not believe it would cost nearly as much to sort out what we already have they just want us plebs to believe that so they can railroad their plans through, if our trains carriages were nice places to be sat in would people really be bothered it took a bit longer to get to their destination than the shorter times they have predicted with HS2.

I don't disagree. According to wikepedia the department for trans port this upgrading the existing infrastructure would cost:

"A Department for Transport-commissioned study into alternatives identified the following options:

lengthen existing trains and platforms, cost £3.5 billion
remodel infrastructure to increase service frequency, cost £13 billion
increase capacity and reduce journey times by bypassing slow track sections, cost £24 billion
According to Network Rail, these options would cause massive disruption to passengers for limited improvement."

and

"The Government expects that over the next 30 years, HS2 will cost £32 billion to build, provide £43.7 billion of economic benefits and generate £27 billion in fares"
though it doesn't say which government or when.

They are again going back to shortening journey times and saying it would cost 24 billion to do it what I am saying is oif the rolling stock was clean, modern and comfortable I do not think people would be that bothers about saving a bit of time especially if they knew the savings were going to help the NHS.

I would prefer the money to benefit us all not a miniscule number of people.

We should have carridges like we did when i was a nipper proper comfort -

4997257300_ff6eb7d150_b.jpg

interior-view-of-a-compartment-inside-an-old-british-railway-carriage-EHWFTH.jpg

The photos are obviously modern carriages, no leather strap to pull the windows up :whistle::whistle:

totally agree with all these comments and working within the NHS the money is not justified and should put into a failing NHS.