Muntons Hand Crafted Belgian Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone done this kit? I did a quick search and nothing came up.

Just wondered about the double fermentation. By all accounts you make up the two cans as normal and ferment for 5 days, then transfer into a second FV and add the included 500g DME and a little of the trub to start a second fermentation.

Would there be any noticable difference in taste to just dumping it all in initially and using some extra saison yeast? I am assuming this comes with the standard thrifty 6g that Muntons normally give you and probably won't cope with the SG of all of the fermentables at once.

Was thinking of this as a possibility for a summer brew.

Hops and Dreams,

did you do this one; I agree there is very little info and reviews out there.

Have just started yesterday and gunna brew as per instructions. Dude who owns LHBS says he's never tasted something like this

Kimo

Hops and Dreams,

did you do this one; I agree there is very little info and reviews out there.

Have just started yesterday and gunna brew as per instructions. Dude who owns LHBS says he's never tasted something like this

Kimo

Hi Kimo,

No I didn't in the end as I didn't have a second bucket at the time and didn't want to go against the instructions.

I still keep meaning to make a Belgian beer though, had some yeast in the fridge for ages, just not got around to using it.

Let us know how it turns out.

I done this kit, tastes ok if a bit weird?
Still has a good malty mouthfeel but a funny aftertaste not too dissimilar to a slight infection?
Maybe its supposed to taste like this,dunno but its still getting drunk anyway.

I done this kit, tastes ok if a bit weird?
Still has a good malty mouthfeel but a funny aftertaste not too dissimilar to a slight infection?
Maybe its supposed to taste like this,dunno but its still getting drunk anyway.

Only Belgian style yeast I have used is Belle Saison (four times, same yeast) and your description is basically spot on. Don't know what yeast this kit comes with, but would not be surprised if it is indeed a Saison style yeast.

Takes some getting used to, as you say. The yeast I used was absolutely ferocious and went down to 1002, so that not only is it +1% stronger ABV, but the yeast totally overpowers everything else you put in. No malty flavours left really.

Yes its a Saison yeast that comes with it.

I had a Saison beer on draft a few weeks ago when in SanFransisco. It sounded good and 6 or 7% but when I tasted it, it had strange taste with some sort of dryand sour aftertaste which i didnt really like. Belgian beer covers a very wide area but my take on them is bock and Leffe style beers.

It would seem this is something a bit different and maybe an aquired taste? Following the instructions to the letter for a change. After 5 days its 1015 down from 1045 at 20degrees. Another day and it should be below 1014 where it recommends the 2nd fermentation and transfer to 2nd FV. Smell is trial jar is not something ive smelt before.

As its a bit different in process with the second fermentation et al I rang the Muttons technical help line and spoke to a dude Graham Sutton who was most helpful. He expanded on the instructions which are ok but a little brief for what seems a little more involved and different brew.

One thing which i'm not sure on is that when you transfer to the second FV you add the supplied 500g of light spray malt. Concerns that it wont mix very well as the wort will be cold and also does the SG still stand as I will be adding more fermentables?

Nice to do something different but don't have the highest expectations. Will keep posting as it develops

Kimo

Don't fret overly about the DME clumping a little. The yeast will get it. Every last bit.

Transfered to 2nd FV as per instructions couple of days ago. Was difficult to scoop up the yeast lees at the bottom of the 1st FV to put on top of 2nd. No bubbles from valvle now so presume no further fermentation is taking place although there is a little head on top of brew. Its at the right temp approx 22C. If fermentation has stopped how can I restart it as im not sure the yeast lees i scooped up are doing anything. Any suggestions?

Kimo

Yes its a Saison yeast that comes with it.

I had a Saison beer on draft a few weeks ago when in SanFransisco. It sounded good and 6 or 7% but when I tasted it, it had strange taste with some sort of dryand sour aftertaste which i didnt really like. Belgian beer covers a very wide area but my take on them is bock and Leffe style beers.

It would seem this is something a bit different and maybe an aquired taste? Following the instructions to the letter for a change. After 5 days its 1015 down from 1045 at 20degrees. Another day and it should be below 1014 where it recommends the 2nd fermentation and transfer to 2nd FV. Smell is trial jar is not something ive smelt before.

As its a bit different in process with the second fermentation et al I rang the Muttons technical help line and spoke to a dude Graham Sutton who was most helpful. He expanded on the instructions which are ok but a little brief for what seems a little more involved and different brew.

One thing which i'm not sure on is that when you transfer to the second FV you add the supplied 500g of light spray malt. Concerns that it wont mix very well as the wort will be cold and also does the SG still stand as I will be adding more fermentables?

Nice to do something different but don't have the highest expectations. Will keep posting as it develops

Kimo

bottled 2nd Dec so 6 weeks on. Tasted on weekend and was disapponted with taste. Firstly 1 week for carbing is not enough for this. Used 3g (1 coopers drop). Ive put a couple of PET bottles back into the warm box and they "stiffening" up so I think 2 weeks for these for carbing.

Taste is very dry and some sort of herb/pepper is there. As in my comments above I think Saision yeast is the deciding factor on this although happy to be shot down. I think its meant to taste like this. As with all home brew you can suddently get that taste change at a mile stone point on conditioning. Got no great need for bottles so going to keep on tasting eery couple of weeks in the hope that it will turn out to my liking (like some long term drug user always chasing the elusive high....)

As ever will keep you posted

Kimosabby

I started one of these kits in early March - took a while to get going and it was about 9 days before the SG was down to 1.014 at which point it went into another fermenting bucket with the extra spray malt for another 8 days. Left for a couple of weeks in the warm and another couple in the cellar before I cracked open the first one today. It's not terrible, but not great yet either. Carbonation (I used half a teaspoon per 500ml bottle) is ok, but not really producing a decent head yet, but it's cleared pretty well.

It smells a little spicy and fruity, but is pretty dry to taste with a fairly strong bitter sweet aftertaste. It does remind me a little of a continental brown beer, but I think it probably needs a little more time in the bottle.

Wadda,

Bottled mine 4.5 months ago. The taste does mellow a little but there is not much improvement. Have given to a couple of non homebrew friends who have tried other stuff ive done and their reponse was not good to the point of it not being drinkable. I cant see this getting any better and its not to my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post, i dont think its the kit, its the fact its a Saison yeast which is not for me. Got about 25 bottles left and its unlikely i'm going to drink them but as I dont need the bottles will hang on in a couple more months. Pouring down the drain is against my principles but think going for a slash in the wind springs to mind :doh:

Kimosabby

Hi Kimosabby

Ha! I think I'm less down on this one than you are but I'm sure you are spot on that it is the Saison yeast that is the critical factor. To be honest I just picked this kit off the shelf in our local home brew store and it sat a while as I hadn't realised it needed a double fermentation which is a bit of a faff. Having now read a bit more about Saison yeasts they do seem to produce dry, tangy, spicy flavours which is what comes through for me - it's amazing how much impact the yeast can have on the flavour.

I had another bottle last night and it does remind me a bit of the dark beers we used to get when I lived on the continent, and I'm not going to have too much trouble drinking the rest. I will try it out on my brother at some point as he is "Bertie Blunt" when it comes to critiquing my home brew.

Cheers

Wadda

I've just started fermenting this kit. Going to most follow the instructions, but think I'll give it two weeks in primary and two or three in secondary. Will dissolve the spray malt in half a litre of water and syphon from primaru into that. I forgot to take a temp before adding the yeast, so pitched at 23 degrees inatead of the recommended 18 to 20, so I won't be perfect. Will let you know how it turns out.

Hi. Newby here. I've had this in the first fermentation for just over a week. Instructions say to siphon into 2nd bucket but when I went to the local Home Brew shop to get one, the chap in there said to dissolve the spraymalt in 2litres of hot water and chuck it in the same bucket.
Confused now.

Hi. Newby here. I've had this in the first fermentation for just over a week. Instructions say to siphon into 2nd bucket but when I went to the local Home Brew shop to get one, the chap in there said to dissolve the spraymalt in 2litres of hot water and chuck it in the same bucket.
Confused now.

That's what I'm going to do I've done it lots of times before when I used only make kit brews I mostly make all gran now but I'm short on time just need to make sum beer. You don't need the hot water you can just put it straight in !

Wadda,

Bottled mine 4.5 months ago. The taste does mellow a little but there is not much improvement. Have given to a couple of non homebrew friends who have tried other stuff ive done and their reponse was not good to the point of it not being drinkable. I cant see this getting any better and its not to my taste.

Like I said in an earlier post, i dont think its the kit, its the fact its a Saison yeast which is not for me. Got about 25 bottles left and its unlikely i'm going to drink them but as I dont need the bottles will hang on in a couple more months. Pouring down the drain is against my principles but think going for a slash in the wind springs to mind :doh:

Kimosabby

Hi I've had the same problem as you . Before and like you I didn't want to chuck it away ever so probably the best fing to do is add lemonade to it that will make it taste better it makes most beer's taste better and start of with a different beer and then go to this beer wen you've had a few or ready it should be easy to drink

I don't know what I did different to you lot, but I think this is my favourite, most interesting beer brewed so far. I might have a taste for it though. My first trip to Belgium I was blown sideways by the style, didn't know what to look for and honestly didn't like much on offer. Second time I loved it.

I also remember hating Leffe 10 years ago, but I should try one now as a litmus test to the theory of acquired taste. Just need to save up for a third break out to Antwerp/Ghent. If any of you are still holding on to bottles you haven't poured away yet...I might buy them from you!

Hi all , I know this is an old post but its the first review I found for this kit. I brew some Belgian Blonde with candi sugar before and have to say it was my favorite brew ever !! Very close to Leffe which I love :) As I dont have much time for brewing atm I decided to buy this kit but after reading this thread I think I made a mistake as people are saying its the dry version of the belgian ales which I dont like at all. I hope this is not the case :) I will make a post about how it turned out when I'm done.

Another person jacking an old thread- but I’ve just stuck this brew in the FV so will report back on progress.

Only slight cock up I made is that I accidentally made it 1 litre long (in my defence Im on my second week of paternity leave, was cooking dinner at the same time and had a 3 year ‘helping’) so have ordered some additional LME to beef up the secondary fermentation. Got an OG of 1.044- interested to know what anyone else who has done the kit (properly) got to see how much of a difference it made?

Will also be going in my new corny and is only my second brew- so lots more opportunity to f&ck it up to come!! ;)

Latest posts

Back