What Wheat beer yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyral210

Brewing like a mad scientist
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to make a Brewferm wheat beer (yes, i know, i am moving to extract brewing soon) and I was thinking about the yeast. With the kit you get a small silver sachet of yeast, but no name on it. I have three options:

What would give the best flavour what beer, how much a difference would it make? Also, any other tips on brewing wheat beer?

Either Fermentis WB06 or Brewferm Blanche

Both make acceptable wheat beers . . . Erdinger is not the primary strain it is filtred adn reseeded with a Lager strain. IIRC the only true wheat yeast from bottles is Schnieder Weisse, not that I have had any luck culturing it up.

Tips. . . To develop a good flavour profile stress the yeast, Underpitch, Remember the Rule of 30 . . . The starting temperature and the finishing temperature (In Centigrade) should add up to 30 . . . I start at 12C and allow it to rise to 18C . . . develop loads of lovely banana and clove flavours.

I start at 12C and allow it to rise to 18C . . . develop loads of lovely banana and clove flavours.
Sorry for being a bit dense, but what you mean by starting and finishing temperatures? Also, I thought stressing the yeast was bad! How can I under pitch with a sachet? Also, I already have the three yeasts I named, not going to go and buy more. Looks like a sachet of Munich yeast is the order of the day!

p.s - should your rule of 30 be used for all brewing or just wheat beer?

Kyral210 said:
Aleman said:
I start at 12C and allow it to rise to 18C . . . develop loads of lovely banana and clove flavours.
Sorry for being a bit dense, but what you mean by starting and finishing temperatures?
Start the fermentation at one temperature and allow the temperature to rise to the finishing temperature.

Kyral210 said:
Also, I thought stressing the yeast was bad!
In normal brewing it is, as stressed yeasts produce funky flavours . . . in a Wheat beer these funky flavours are desirable as they contribute to the flavour profile.

Kyral210 said:
How can I under pitch with a sachet?
Pitch half a sachet . . . Don't aerate the wort before pitching, pitch colder than normal

Kyral210 said:
I already have the three yeasts I named, not going to go and buy more. Looks like a sachet of Munich yeast is the order of the day!
Not familiar with the Munich yeast . . . didn't realise that it was a wheat beer yeast :oops: thought it was a lager one .. . It'll be fine and preferable to the other two

Kyral210 said:
should your rule of 30 be used for all brewing or just wheat beer?
Not my rule of 30 but one the German Wheat brewers use . . . If it's good enough for them . . .

Ok, I get you now. I am brewing 10 Litres of Wheat beer, so I guess 1/4 sachet is more like it :)

I will give it a go and see what happens. The last wheat beer I made, Beers of the World Berlin What Beer tasted awful!!! It was pretty undrinkable and, yeah. I just hope this batch is better.

Latest posts

Back