Aquarium heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
My 'FV#1' has a glass submersible heater in it, but the FV can only take max 22 litres, and my last 2 AG brews came out with more like 24 litres.

My two other FV's didn't have any heater fitted, and thanks to the sub zero noght time temperatures I want to ferment with a much more constant heat, but they are that bit bigger, and can comfoprtably take 26 litres and still leave head space for a bit of vigorous yeast action.

So, I nipped into the pet shop this morning, and acquired a stick on thermometer strip, and their smallest aquarium heater.

I drilled a 28mm hole in the top of the side wall of the FV to take the rubber bung, the cable passes through that and is sealed with high grade silicon sealant, and I decided to sit the heater right down at the bottom, since it's so small, and heat rises anyway..

169089_10150102145029585_535884584_6191609_7590664_n.jpg

Once the silicon has had 24 hrs to cure I'll shift my AG#3 brew from it's current unheated fermenter into this one :mrgreen:

What's the power of that heater? Let us know how well it works!

Tim

It's 25w - 'for aquariums up to 30 litres' - it's the smallest one that the pet shop had (and therefore the cheapest, at £17 :cheers: )

I'll probably get one when I step up to a 25l FV, an old propagator and bed of sand is currently doing a fantastic job with a 5l PET.

Well done Yin... :clap:

I've got a tank heater...given to me by an old boy who did wine years back...not used it yet but I can see from what you've done it may be a nifty job for smaller brews.. :clap:

This looks like a great idea. What are your results like? Does it keep it constant and when it reaches set temperature as some can do does it switch an and off to maintain this temperature? How much would room temperatures influence it too? Sorry for being a pain! :oops:

Most decent aquarium heaters have an inbuilt thermostat, since they're designed to keep aquarium temperatures stable, usually at just over the sort temperatures we like to ferment beer at :). Seems like a good idea. Does anyone have any reasons why small aqurarium heater shouldn't be employed in this way? I'm quite tempted to do this for keeping the temp up overnight. :hmm:

I've used one for the last 2 brews successfully (I got a 100W off flea bay) I have it set to the min temp (20-21deg C) and have had no issues (I mounted it vertically in my FV though) . Again mostly for the low temps over the past few months.

Not sure what real difference is between 25/50/100W ones in terms of keeping 23l of wort happy really is, I think the o/p is low enough that no "scorching" will occur. I went for 100W to have it on the min time - my Demijohn Boots version is 25W and I thought that 100W would be best for larger amounts. :thumb:

Am looking at modding a rubber cork to allow me to use it in my odd 5gal wine brews. Sealing it was what was bothering me :wha:

Ideally, you'd want the lowest wattage that you need to keep the temperature where you want it. If you use a higher wattage one, the thermostat will be worked more over time and eventually wear out.

Latest posts

Back