WYEAST 1469 - discontiued.......options??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just been speaking to the guys at Brew about obtaining some WYEAST 1469 for my upcomming first AG.
Apparently it has been discontinued due to lack of popularity in the US.

I am not too far from Keighley, so I might chance my arm and see if Knowle Spring would donate some yeast to an enthusiastic craft brewer.

I had another thought too.....but I don't know if this would work.
I know a bar that serves cask Landlord.......could the yeast be reclaimed from the bottom of a spent barrel??

I'd be grateful of any input on reclaiming this yeast. Thanks :thumb:

Hi markp,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not sure if the cask is primed with a secondary yeast or the primary strain. Regards chancing the brewery for some....why not...you've got nothing to lose. Just make sure you have a nice big bucket if they invite you down :D

V

Vossy1 said:
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not sure if the cask is primed with a secondary yeast or the primary strain.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be the primary strain, breweries (at least all I know) don't filter their cask conditioned beers so there would be no reason to add a secondary yeast.

I'd be more concerned about the risk of infection from using old yeast from a cask. The cask would have been open to the air for a period of time and a few nasties could have got in at the end.

regards getting yeast from the brewery: If its anything like Timmy T's answering emails... it won't happen! :|

markp said:
I have just been speaking to the guys at Brew about obtaining some WYEAST 1469 for my upcomming first AG.
Apparently it has been discontinued due to lack of popularity in the US.
Strictly speaking it never was a permanent part of the range. It's been out as a special release twice and was only available at that time.

I don't know if it's the same but at the moment (sep-oct) Whitelabs are doing this yeast

WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast
This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales.
Attenuation: 68-72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

The hop and grape should be able to get it. To be honest though, for a first AG I'd use a dried yeast. There's enough to worry about getting right let alone messing around with a liquid yeast.

Thanks for all the comments.

The infection possibilty has put me right off trying to recover some yeast from a barrel - I'd never even considered that tbh.

:lol: @ Franklin, a retailer I know who has both off and on sales has told me they are difficult to deal with.

Appreciate the info steve :thumb:
That yeast may well do a very good job.....I've read about the yeast and it's supposedly a traditional strain developed for brewing in squares.
Do other shops (as well as H&G) stock WhiteLabs ??

The first AG was done with dried Nottingham.....the second with SO-5.
I've ordered a couple of alternative WYeasts that should arrive with me this week.......should be fun :D

steve_flack said:
I don't know if it's the same but at the moment (sep-oct) Whitelabs are doing this yeast

WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast
This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales.
Attenuation: 68-72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Sounds good! Though that said I can't think of any time I've read a yeast description and it hasn't made me want to brew a batch :geek: :wha: :party: :cheers: :drink: :drunk:

I have a Hobgoblin inspired brew (it's not a clone, just my own recipe) fermenting at present with WY1469. Pitched the starter late yesterday, and it's been bubbling since about 6 hours post pitching.

I built up a starter from a split I kept of a starter i made back in January this year. It fired up just fine. I plan to harvest some from the fermenter after I bottle the brew, seeing as it is currently not available.

It's a very good yeast, combining good malty qualities along with the desired esters. It's also a great flocculator, so may need some rousing after the initial fermentation to allow it to finish the job.

I also love WY1968, but it's skewed towards producing a very malty brew. Great for Milds and lower gravity Bitters.

Probably the closest Wyeast to WY1469 is Ringwood.

Wyeast 1469 is being released again from Oct-Dec 2010 from their Private Collection FYI

yogester said:
Wyeast 1469 is being released again from Oct-Dec 2010 from their Private Collection FYI

Fantastic, I'm in the mood for a 50 litre run of Timmy Taylors :clap:

Latest posts

Back