Bulk Buying DME

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Regular.
Reaction score
I did a search through the forum after getting fleeced for DME / LME when I bought a brupack at the weekend.

I came across this thread from about a year ago which was interesting.

So one of our sponsors (The Homebrew company) sell 3kg for £14 but they are also selling 25kg of light LME for just £100

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ing ... -3_36.html

That seems like a cracking deal to me.

They also sell LME for £5.95 for 1.5kg

Then I found that Worcester Hop Shop are selling 25gk for less than half that, but pick-up only. Yes £48!

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/index ... daf02f8025

It's a 2 hour drive, but I'm almost tempted!

Any other suggestions to where I can buy some cheap DME?

Malt miller here

£63.60 for 25KG. and he will deliver for 7.50 upto 30kg so you can buy another 5kg of stuff as well without costing more in carraige.

top notch. Thanks.

It's liquid though. Are there any disadvantages to using liquid as opposed to dry?

Also comes with an added benefit of a free jerry can!

Worcshopshops is also liquid , they advised me it needed to be kept cool and used within 3 months once opened and was not suitable for freezing.

well, certainly gives me food for thought. 25kg in 3 months is doable, but only if I was on a roll. I suppose I could always do a deal with some local brewers who might want to share the cost.

By the way ,HBC LME @£5.95 per 1.5kg works out to about £99 for the same quantity , if you bought 12 cans delivery would be free.
I've made three of their full extract kits now using it , I'm drinking two and the other one's in the FV , I've always used Cooper's LME before and IMO HBC's is as good ,if not better.

i was looking at sharing a load of lme with a mate, - why wouldnt u be able to divvy up, freeze till v solid vaccum seal and freeze -
like hops? as surely if its just a staling issue like with hops u can just do the same???

But that's wort rather than extract (which is partially dehydrated wort). I'm guessing that the amount of water affects whether it is damaged by freezing but don't know why.

Hi, at a (very) rough guess the lme will separate, and then be a swine to remix when unfrozen! Other than that I don't think it will harm it as such. Although I do tend to question ag brews :) This might be an example where it might pay if your using 25kg of lme in a few months.

did a bit more research apparently it never properly freezes as such wont seperate, but i bet it will slow the mould down a good bit- obviously ideally i would get through it all in 3 months, but its nice to have a backup and keep what u got as fresh as pos

Back