Water treatment - made reasonably simple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be able to get the total alkalinity figure if you ring the water board.
If not, then buy a Salifert home test kit - cheap and easy.

The use of CRS and the salt additions all contribute to the mash pH.
You cannot, by my understanding anyway, look to hit a pH of 5.2 in the mash and then add salts.

Regarding Salifert home test kit - I've noted there are different types for sale on the web, could anyone specifiy the named kit and also does the kit perform acurate PH values to allow correct adjustment of water (or do I need to buy PH paper also).
Cheers, :cheers:
Cwrw

cwrw said:
could anyone specifiy the named kit and also does the kit perform acurate PH values to allow correct adjustment of water (or do I need to buy PH paper also)
The correct Kit is Here Hover over the image for details.

THE KIT MEASURES AND REPORTS ALKALINITY NOT pH IF YOU WANT TO MEASURE MASH Ph THEN YOU WILL NEED A pH TEST - Brewferm Narrow Range pH papers are probably teh best pH papers to buy.

I will reiterate again, as brewers we need to measure and adjust the alkalinity of the water, not the pH. If you adjust the alkalinity to the correct level for the beer style being brewed then the mash pH will naturally fall in the right range for brewing

Do not confuse alkalinity with pH, and the pH of the liquor is irrelevant!!

Aleman said:
The correct Kit is Here Hover over the image for details.

THE KIT MEASURES AND REPORTS ALKALINITY NOT pH IF YOU WANT TO MEASURE MASH Ph THEN YOU WILL NEED A pH TEST - Brewferm Narrow Range pH papers are probably teh best pH papers to buy.

I will reiterate again, as brewers we need to measure and adjust the alkalinity of the water, not the pH. If you adjust the alkalinity to the correct level for the beer style being brewed then the mash pH will naturally fall in the right range for brewing

Do not confuse alkalinity with pH, and the pH of the liquor is irrelevant!!

So for the fully unitiated wanting to adopt good practice from the start, if I buy myself one of these kits I can look at the readings and adjust the alkalinity with the kit (with no need to convert readings) to the alkalinity of the desired beer style which is in mgs? Whilst I'm at it if I need to adjust what two substances would I need for this (eg Gypsum and Sodium Bicarbonate) ?
All information will be thoroughly used sir!
:cheers: Cwrw

chrisp said:
However it does not appear to report on Alkalinity or Carbonate, giving no readings for CO3, HCO3 or CaCO3.

I don't want to recommend a particular brand but you can get test kits (like this) which help in your situation. The test is very easy to do :thumb:

What's the preference out there for a basic correction for a soft and ph7.7 water correction- CRS or Gypsum?

Please can anyone answer my ignorant question above - I'm new to all this but would like a good beer on my first go :pray: :wha:

I'm just entering the world of water treatment myself, so not qualified to answer, hopefully someone will be along shortly.

I would not worry about water just yet get used to your equipment, get your beers consistent, then tweak with water treatment.

Softwater is far to vague to help you need a water report with

alkalinity (this comes in different ways but CaCO3 is the way mine comes)
calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
sulphate
chloride

Then use the water treatment link top left in calculators

cwrw said:
What's the preference out there for a basic correction for a soft and ph7.7 water correction- CRS or Gypsum?

I'm not sure I really understand the question.
The pH of your brewing liqour is, as Aleman said irrelivant.

The CRS neautralises the carbonate in the water. If there is too much carbonate present in the mash, the pH will be too high.
The gypsum adds calcium to the mash, this is also important to ensure you hit the correct pH and ensure there is sufficient calcium for mash reactions. Gypsum also adds sulphate to the mash which has an effect on hop flavour in making it more pronounced.

Best practice seems to be to get the local water report for your area and a salifert test kit to measure your alkalinity. Use the average figures quoted in the report to plug in to one of the many online calculators for water treatment (or those in brew software). The forum water treatment calc is great btw ;)
The alkalinity test will allow you to work out how much CRS to use per litre of liquor and the calculator will give you the salt additions for the mash and boil.

It is worth mentioning again; as Aleman pointed out....the CRS and salt additions will vary according to the beer style you are brewing. This is a result of the different make up of the grain bills relevant to particular styles contributing to a greater or lesser degree in achieving the correct massh pH.

Hope that is of help :cool:

Many thanks for the answers all - penny's beginning to drop! :thumb:

Back