First brew for 25 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollusc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I experimented with home-brewing beer from a kit back in the eighties; when kits consisted solely of a tin of malt extract and a packet of yeast. I was somewhat disappointed with the results as my brew tasted decidedly yeasty despite being crystal clear.

Roll forward 25 years and, whilst I hope the kits have improved, access to help and information certainly has. I have, therefore, decided to give homebrew a second go and plan to get a batch of Pilgrims Hope into the FV this Sunday.

Brian

Brian, I returned to brewing after something like a 20-year absence, and firstly, the kits have improved a lot, although most do include just a tin of malt extract and a packet of yeast, but secondly and most importantly, the advice I've received here (which is basically to ignore the kit instructions) has resulted in some stunning brews. None of that yeasty "homebrew" taste now.

Thanks dennisking and Esb Slurper for your welcomes. To tell the truth, one of the reasons I've returned to home brewing is the cost of commercial bottled beer and if this is a failure I'm going to have trouble explaining this to SWMBO.

I've followed Tubby_shaw's how-to and the Pilgrims Hope is now in the FV.

Latest posts

Back