What Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys...
I have been using my local Brewry as a source for fresh yeast...
Now don't get me wrong.. its OK.. BUT
I feel there is always something at the back which is nearly sour it that makes sense.. but not unpleasant
I had a few pint of the beer brewed from GOACHERS last night and the taste was the same....
Its clear if i brew with this yeast i will get this CHARACTERISTIC.

I would like to try a different Yeast
I was going to brew with Danstar Windsor really because of availability....
The Ale would be a trad bitter 1045
Any other sugestions

Attachment deleted, please re-post using photobucket

Windsor has been my house yeast of choice over the last couple of years used in everything from Pale Summer Ales and session bitters right up to an Imperial Stout. Fantastic rapid fermentation nice residual yeast contribution, clears well. IMO its much better than SO4 . . . which has similar characteristics . . . but fails to deliver on the flavour profile

Aleman said:
Windsor has been my house yeast of choice over the last couple of years used in everything from Pale Summer Ales and session bitters right up to an Imperial Stout. Fantastic rapid fermentation nice residual yeast contribution, clears well. IMO its much better than SO4 . . . which has similar characteristics . . . but fails to deliver on the flavour profile

Aleman, Have you ever had trouble with poor attenuation with Windsor...?

I tried it once and had a very quick initial ferment but then it stuck at about 1.020ish and took ages to get down to a keggable level. Was considering using windsor for a first ferment, then add some SO4 after a few days but dont know if this would work.

No problem with poor attenuation . . . It took my RIS from 1.098 to 1.023 in around 3-5 days . . . . I don't know what the current gravity is, but I am going to find out this week when I bottle it.

I forgot the yeast nutrient . . . but I did pitch 3 packets in 20L

jonewer said:
Sorry, nother question for you Aleman- did you set up a starter culture or dry-pitch?
There is no point making a starter with dried yeast . . . as you would need something like 20L of wort to make it worth while . . . I follow the rehydration instructions on the back of the packet . . . My Version is here. . . .Do what works for your . . . rehydrate or dry pitching . . . I know the reasons for rehydration, and it works for me . . . if you get good results dry pitching do that . . . Its not best practice though (According to the manufacturers ;) ) . . . .Do not make a starter however :lol:

Hi, Guys..
Well i must say uthe Windsor yeast kicked of to a good start; in fact it over spilled the FV.. :clap:

Saturday OG 1040 midnight pitched,
Sunday morning spilled over.
Monday morning yeast sunk 1020.

Im happy :clap: at this rate will keg in the week :thumb:

I've read the the data shhet on the Nottingham has any body got some first hand experience? :wha:

jonewer said:
Aleman said:

Aleman, Have you ever had trouble with poor attenuation with Windsor...?

I tried it once and had a very quick initial ferment but then it stuck at about 1.020ish and took ages to get down to a keggable level. Was considering using windsor for a first ferment, then add some SO4 after a few days but dont know if this would work.

Revived an old post after searching Windsor. I've just had a similar experience with 'lazy' Windsor yeast. Fermented like crazy for 2 days from 46 down to 20 then stopped. Last time I used it it stopped at around 15 (I wouldn't expect this with an all grain brew). Luckily had some of the wort culturing with some SNPA bottle culture and chucked that in to hopefully finish the job. I shan't be using Windsor again. Nottingham attenuates well for me but think the flavour's a bit 'bland'.

Edit, I now think my mash temperature was too high rather that the yeast being lazy but Nottingham definitely has more attenuation than Windsor.

Latest posts

Back