PC screen/monitor advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking for some PC screen advice please folks. I'm suffering really badly with screen glare at the moment, or should that be by using the pc my eyes are really sore, sometimes leading to headaches. My monitor is quite old, it's a Sony SDM HX73 and I've done a bit of looking around the net and apart from really expensive sreeen filters another issue thrown up is possibly refreshing rates of less than 70 may cause this problem...my monitor is 60.
I use contrast at 24 along with brightness (out of 100) so have to lighten my screen to see dark pic temporarily but it's really starting to bug me now.

Any advice would be much appreciated :thumb:

New glasses? I can't do screens for long without my glasses these days.

If your screen isn't set to retinal burn (as most peoples seem to be) then it might be too dark straining your eyes.

Other than that I can recommend picking up a new monitor, I can't remember the last time I saw a 17" monitor, that's absolutely tiny.

I have a 22 inch Viewsonic HDMI 1080p which i use for as my PC monitor and for my Xbox, it is by far the best monitor I have owned.

It is a couple of years old and think it was around £150, i have found one similar with a lower price and some good reviews at the bottom of the page -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-VA224 ... ch+monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks M :thumb: I have 20/20 vision and don't use glasses and the reason for the monitor being dark is because it had the same effect when bright so I was seeing if it was too bright.
The monitor is around 9 years old but I'm usually the sort of person that unless it breaks, don't buy a new one....but when my eyes are at risk that goes out of the window :grin:

How old is your base unit?

If it is a few years old it will not have HDMI output so no need to buy a monitor that is HD, saving you a bit of money.

Mine is 22 inch (screen corner to corner not case) this is big enough for my needs as its on a computer desk approximately 24 inch from my face, i think a 30 inch one would be overkill. :lol:

Some good prices here, some with free delivery - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... jbjsw9wslA

I have found some specs (see end of post) and it doesn't look like it has HDMI, it says 1 VGA out (15 pin) and the ultra small version has DVI-I so you will need to have a look before ordering.

I don't know if you know the difference so i will post this in case you don't -

VGA -

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

DVI -

dvi.jpg

Some monitors come with an adaptor to turn the VGA to a DVI -

CPN02159.jpg

a2222222222.jpg

a little tip to help your eyes is never to look at your monitor for any length of time in a darken room. always have the room lights on, position your monitor so no glare etc, and let your eyes occaisionally wander around the room so they keep focussing on objects at different distances.

Just a thought: If your TV has a PC connection, that might be worth considering.

A couple of years ago, I got fed up with screen glare, small text, and having an area solely for the PC, so decided to connect the PC to my TV. All works well..... saves space etc.

Thanks for the input chaps :cool: C_T, the pc does indeed have VGA and DVI but no HDMI. I had thought about using it with a TV screen, obviously it has to be DVI or HDMI compatible (or a converter) but TBH I don't know what specs to look for in a TV v a pc monitor, I'm assuming something with a higher refreshing rate than 70hz :hmm:

Regarding TVs; There's lots with refreshing rates of 100hz nowadays. I bought mine about 5-6 years ago (a Panasonic TH-50PZ81B plasma TV) and it was a doddle to connect up. The cable for the PC monitor was used to connect directly in to the back of the TV (which had a designated VGA socket marked 'PC'); nothing else was required, it took two mins!
:D

Oh.... When I say nothing else req'd: there was the need for an audio connection for sound; this was done with the audio cable from the PC's 'audio' socket to the audio sockets at the back of the TV.
It sounds more complicated written than in practice :)

Vossy1 said:
Thanks for the input chaps :cool: C_T, the pc does indeed have VGA and DVI but no HDMI. I had thought about using it with a TV screen, obviously it has to be DVI or HDMI compatible (or a converter) but TBH I don't know what specs to look for in a TV v a pc monitor, I'm assuming something with a higher refreshing rate than 70hz :hmm:

I have a 37 inch LG TV in the living room which has a VGA port but no DVI so i used to hook my old laptop (no HDMI) up to it using a VGA cable for the picture and an audio cable (see below) for sound, it worked well for streaming the football.

I now have a laptop with HDMI out so now use a HDMI cable to hook it up to the TV and watch HD streams.

smm.jpg

the dvi and VGA ports will put out a full HD signal, monitors have been running well above "HD" 1080p for many many years before the TV marketing came along.

You can't get much better than these monitors:
http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Oth ... ctId=46999

3 years warrenty on all dell monitors IIRC, guaranteed to have no dead pixels (legally they can come with up to 5 and not be faulty) and the IPS screen is as crisp as you could ever want.

I used to have a job testing monitors and these were easily the biggest seller and the least returned.... so if you are looking for something to last ten years or more don't buy a cheap one :)

I have a plasma TV with VGA, DVI and HDMI but that's down stairs and the PC is not :lol:
chrig, I like, but not at that price...maybe second hand though :hmm: I'm not so keen on the various different definitions of faulty regards screens...when we bought the plasma it was 1 dead in 3" square...I hope things have changed :roll:

Order it online, check it on arrival and request to return it within 7 working days "under your distance selling rights" and some retailers will include you postage in the refund.

Legally you must receive a full refund within 30days.

Dead pixel limits are a con, quality control on monitors are very low because they can get away with it. I once tested 12 cheap(22"-£80~) monitors in a row and every single one had at least one dead pixel.

Latest posts

Back