Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are good and fit in the fridge nicely! I tend to by them full of beer nowadays ... Old Speckled Hen for £15 and a reusable keg. Not all the supermarket ones have reusable top plugs though but you can buy them separately.

They look fantastic Bevvied! I was considering a mini keg system but didn't want to mess about with force carbing and C02. I like the simplicity of just priming with sugar. I didn't realize you could do this with a mini keg.
These would be perfect for the weekends drinking with my usual 330ml bottles if I fancy anything in the week.

REALLY interested in these mini-kegs now as I've realized they can fit in my bottle storage area and wont get in Mrs MQ's way.

I think my best option is to just buy some full ones and reuse them rather than buying new ones. I have a Tescum, ASDA and Morrisons within walking distance and waitrose near work (which would mean me lugging em back home on my commute - 'spose I could have a sneaky snifter on the train :lol:) anyone any idea which is my best option from the first three? I've never noticed mini kegs in the booze aisles but then again I've never looked

I'm not that keen on hobgobo - Do they have any others (like the OSH mentioned?)

Have you tried the Hobgoblin Gold? Ignore the name, it's a new-world pale ale with either Nelson or Galaxy hops. Very nice. It's on in Tesco. I'm not huge on the normal Nobgobbling myself.

Have you tried the Hobgoblin Gold? Ignore the name, it's a new-world pale ale with either Nelson or Galaxy hops. Very nice. It's on in Tesco. I'm not huge on the normal Nobgobbling myself.

Haven't tried that. Whats the bittering like on it. I like a pale ale but on the low bittering end e.g. about 30 on a OG of 1.040

I had absolutely no idea that you could reuse the mini kegs that the supermarkets sell.
Either way, I'm on it!

Mostly you can but I think there might be a type you can't might be best to do a wee bit of research just to check before buying

Cheers. I do like a drop of 'Speckled Hen' and as mentioned earlier in the thread they're OK, so....:cheers:

I've got two mini kegs from a local micro which I intend to reuse. I'm a bit wary about it so I'm doing a Wilkos kit just in case it goes wrong!

I have seen Hobgoblin Gold as low as £12 in Tesco, and Hobgoblin £13 in Waitrose. Saw Golden Hen for £11.25 on clearance in Tesco the other week.

Lidl have recently done some Oktoberfest beers for around £11.

Bargain when you consider the home brew shops selling empties for £5+

Note that these all come with a tap and should be cask conditioned and would not work with a 'top tap' type system as far as I can tell.

Haven't tried that. Whats the bittering like on it. I like a pale ale but on the low bittering end e.g. about 30 on a OG of 1.040

Not very bitter, but I'd struggle to guess the IBUs. It doesn't have any of that strong crystal malt flavour to it that a lot of English ales have. More like 95%+ pale. Try a bottle if you see one.

Not very bitter, but I'd struggle to guess the IBUs. It doesn't have any of that strong crystal malt flavour to it that a lot of English ales have. More like 95%+ pale. Try a bottle if you see one.

Thanks. I was really just looking for your perception rather than giving me an IBU number. I only quoted an IBU number so you could get an idea of what I like

Back