Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built up a good collection of easy kegs now and have most filled, just looking some advice, how is everyone syphoning into them?

I've drank several of my kegs and all of them the first pint is quite yeasty. I only do small batch 5ltr brews at the minute, that will change when I get my ace boiler for xmas, when syphoning I always get some trub into the kegs, first pint cloudy and yeasty, the rest is usually nice and clear. Tried hop socks on the syphon tube but no real difference yet. I dont use secondary's but I presume it would help if I racked off into a secondary for a few days before kegging?

I rack into a secondary with tap containing priming sugar, allow to stand for 10 minutes or so and then into the keg via a bottling wand. This puts the beer right to the bottom of the keg at the speed you want and whilst it does not stop foaming it helps minimise it.

Not sure if I have an issue with one of my kegs which holds a Belgian blonde ale. Every pint is coming out at a rate of knots creating a massive head. It's got a grey bung so I have pulled my party star tap out to leave all the co2 out but still the problem continues. I don't really need to inject co2 back in to get the beer out but add a little to keep the beer fresh. Not sure what is causing the issue, the beer isn't over primed.

Just a comment on my Easy-Keg experience so far.

I have decided to give up using the CO2 injection facility as too fiddly, too expensive and not necessary; because I normally empty an MK within a week.

For the last two kegs (St Peter's Ruby Red Ale) I have waited until carbonated pressure has dropped considerably (so far after the first two litres) before fitting the Flexi-Tap (without the attenuator).

When the beer stops flowing from the Flexi-Tap I used a modified bike pump to restore the pressure and left the MK reasonably "pressurised" overnight.

Dalton's Law of Partial Pressure ensures that the CO2 doesn't escape from the beer and using this method ensured that the beer had a decent head on it right down to the last pint.

If ever my thirst for beer fell off so badly that I could't empty an MK in a week I would definitely use the CO2 facility on the Flexi-Tap to prevent oxygen being absorbed into the beer ...

... or, more probable, commit Hari-Kiri. :lol: :lol:

Just saw these are on offer for £10 in morrisons atm full of Old Speckled Hen...

Are they suitable for keg style beers? They look like a good idea but I won't be brewing cask style stuff...

Sorry if this has been covered already but there are 103 pages...

IF it's the one with a special top tap (as per the ones in France) then there is a huge CO2 cylinder inside that requires serious modification to remove.

However, the "Best consumed within 3 days of opening" warning MAY indicate that it has been pre-charged and that there is no CO2 capsule inside; so with a quick "rinse and sanitise" it will be ready to be refilled.

However, brand new the Easy Keg costs £6 ...

http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item2602.htm

... so you are still paying much too much for the beer! :whistle: :whistle:

Enjoy! :thumb:

Just saw these are on offer for �£10 in morrisons atm full of Old Speckled Hen...

Are they suitable for keg style beers? They look like a good idea but I won't be brewing cask style stuff...

Sorry if this has been covered already but there are 103 pages...

They have pressure limits which someone identified earlier in the thread. @MickDundee, was that you?

Personally, I find 20g sugar works really well for a well carbonated IPA. They'd maybe struggle for a lager or wheat beer but otherwise they should be fine I think.

They have pressure limits which someone identified earlier in the thread. @MickDundee, was that you?

Personally, I find 20g sugar works really well for a well carbonated IPA. They'd maybe struggle for a lager or wheat beer but otherwise they should be fine I think.

I'm a bit of a dope when it comes to this sort of stuff. Are you saying you literally just put in 20g of sugar (not dissolved in water etc) and that works fine?

I've just sampled my first homebrew from a keg and it was marvellous!

After two glasses of needing to leave to settle before filling up (about half a glass of foam on first two) it pour beautifully.

It was on a Rally at the weekend so drank it over the two days. No issues with flat/loss of carbonation in that short time. 😉🖒

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've just sampled my first homebrew from a keg and it was marvellous!

After two glasses of needing to leave to settle before filling up (about half a glass of foam on first two) it pour beautifully.

It was on a Rally at the weekend so drank it over the two days. No issues with flat/loss of carbonation in that short time. 😉��'

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you open the vent before pouring?

Greetings to you all, thanks in no small part to this thread, i have now got a load of mini kegs and a party star delux. Just thought I would share the results. This is my wherry plus 30g goldings in tea form, under primed with 7g of sugar per 5l keg.
The sparkler is a 10mm end cap with a single 1.5mm hole coming in at 80p.
Cheers!

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Back