Flavour Extraction from Grains.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
Just stay with me on this one it's kind of weired???. Is it realy vital that Grains be heated (mashed) to extract FLAVOUR. Im not looking to extract the sugars just the flavour. You see ive seen a bottle of Toffee Vodka. Im wondering if in the same way you make Bramble Vodka could I infuse Vodka with Crystal/Cara or Chocolate Malt to give a hint of Caramal in the Vodka.

Firstly I'll answer the question.

No grain does not need to be heated to extract flavour. One way of using large amounts of black malt without getting too much 'roast' character needing a lot of aging, is to cold steep it. Basically you use 3 times the amount of malt specified in the recipe, along with a suitable amount of cold water . . . . and leave it for 16-24 hours . . . drain off the liquor after this period and add it to the boiler before sparging.

I would seriously question the results of steeping those malts in vodka . . . I don't think you will get the flavour profile you are looking for at all. . . . . but that is just my opinion ;)

Aleman said:
I would seriously question the results of steeping those malts in vodka . . . I don't think you will get the flavour profile you are looking for at all. . . . . but that is just my opinion ;)

Thats realy the question I wanted to ask. Thanks AM. Will keep the Malts for my next AG. :thumb:

Now that Jar of Marmalade in the fridge if I added that to some Vodka :hmm:

Aleman said:
I don't think you will get the flavour profile you are looking for at all. . . . . but that is just my opinion ;)
What if you reduced the resulting cold liquor by boiling, could you then get a result by adding this to the vodka, or do you think all the aromas/flavours will have boiled off?

ericstd said:
Aleman said:
I don't think you will get the flavour profile you are looking for at all. . . . . but that is just my opinion ;)
What if you reduced the resulting cold liquor by boiling, could you then get a result by adding this to the vodka, or do you think all the aromas/flavours will have boiled off?
No I think the flavour profile obtained by alcoholic extraction would be completely different to that achieved by steeping in water

Aleman said:
No I think the flavour profile obtained by alcoholic extraction would be completely different to that achieved by steeping in water
I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here, but I got the impression that Snail wanted to "Flavour" his Vodka, not use vodka for flavour extraction.

What I was thinking of doing was Steeping Crystal/Cara Chocolate malts in Vodka to try and get a Caramal flavour Much in the same way you steep Brambles to produce Bramble Vodka. I think Aleman is concerned as to how the flavours will be different if infused in an alchohol rather than being drawn out by mashing or steeping in cold water. I was looking to infuse a flavour into the Vodka rather than make a mixer to add to the Vodka.

:pray: :pray: :pray:
I have made a great vodka using Scotch bonnet peppers . . . Prick the scotch bonnets and put in a jar . . . add vodka . . . leave for a week . . . return vodka to bottle and put in freezer . . . . Drink neat . . . . . and ice cold

Also makes a great Bloody mary . . . good for the morning after

could you maybe dry out your spent ag brew grains and then try infusing with vodka, could get some sweetness aswell as colour flavour. worth a try

Aleman said:
:pray: :pray: :pray:
I have made a great vodka using Scotch bonnet peppers . . . Prick the scotch bonnets and put in a jar . . . add vodka . . . leave for a week . . . return vodka to bottle and put in freezer . . . . Drink neat . . . . . and ice cold

Also makes a great Bloody mary . . . good for the morning after

Sounds fantastic!

Latest posts

Back