Hops how to tell when to harvest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
I know there's a few of us first time hop harvesters this year so I just thought I'd ask the question.

My northdowns are starting to go brown on the cones but the lupin isn't quite dry and powdery more like sticky balls?

When is the right conditions to harvest them?

Ideally the cone should exhibit some 'spring' when compressed between finger and thumb and then released . . . The bracts should feel papery to the touch, and they crackle when rubbed between finger and thumb next to the ear. . . . remember some hops are brownish anyway

mine are close but not yet there, should be a bumper crop for me this year (third year) hopefully enough to last the whole year.

hops.jpg

I used the last of my fuggle, last years crop yesterday and the smell from them is still wonderful compared to the fuggle that I bought, could hardly smell tham at all.

Ha! Oddly enough I checked mine about 5 minutes ago. I think they still have another couple of weeks to go - this is my first harvest so looks like I'll only be getting enough for a couple of brews.

That looks like a great harvest prolix!

Thats a great harvest coming on prolix, hope mine get to them levels in the coming years :thumb:
Thanks Aleman, I shall check for the crackle, they have the snap just not the crackle as for the pop it'll be along in a bit

Being a little further north than MD, mine are still at the pale green stage.
Thanks for the tips AM, how are your's doing, you're even further north?

I killed mine :oops: . . . Were fine taking cuttings in november / march, but it then ended up waterlogged for about 4 weeks. . . . . Planning to get Prima Donna / Brewers Gold for next year which are much more manageable . . . Spent this summer preparing the raised bed for them

Mine are alive but no flowers.

I had to move house so had to keep them in small pots, hence some pretty disapointing growth.

I'm going to put them in the ground fairly soon.

Does anyone know how well they cope with shade?

I got two Rhizomes from Aleman. (Fuggles I think). I left one in the pot and one I planted in the ground. The binds have grown well with plenty of leaves..BUT.. No flowers. :eek: ..Could they be Male Plants :hmm:

Anyone help here please :?

No if they were rhizomes from Alemans Fuggle then they are definitely female as they are clones of the parent plant :thumb:
They probably just didn't get ideal growing conditions this year?

:twisted: Thanks TS...I think I better find another location for them next year. I am thinking about re planting one of Aleman's Fuggles plants in the ground where I found the Wild Hops....Perhaps they might thrive there :hmm:

I'm going to transfer mine from pot to ground for next year's crop. Should I wait for next year (after I've cut this year's growth back to ground level) and plant around March, or should I plant this year in the ground before winter sets in?

Ta all!

Now I'm no expert, but I thought hops liked to spend some dormant time over winter, similar to onions and so on?

I planted mine when they arrived last year in October, they sat under frosts then under 6 inches of snow for a month or so. Grew like bejeezus in spring !! I just harvested 250g of challenger and 55g of fuggles today. I feel a brew coming on tomorrow! :party:

I've just harvested 1/2 of my 2nd year fuggles plant. Bit of a difference from last year!

Managed to get 1.1kg of wet hops off it, and still got the other half to go (half has been getting better sun so will do the other half in a week or 2)!

Latest posts

Back