Driving too close to a cyclist.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just today I saw someone take this to the extreme they don't just leave enough space they practically mount the opposing pavement in an enormous exaggerated swerve.. What the hell is that all about?

If the car is having to straddle the line in the middle of the road, either the lane is narrow or the graphic is pointless. As to straddle the white line the opposing lane is required to be clear, in which case it would be safe for the car to use the entire opposing lane giving the cyclist the entire lane to themselves.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I've got a ten million decibel air horn - that makes the buggers swerve out of the way. It's great fun, does the job and no one gets killed. Win,win,win!

Loud and offensive, who'd have thought:lol:

I'm only joking, would certainly work tho'! When going past some guy or gal on a horse I dip the clutch and coast past almost silently and give as wide a berth as possible. For self-preservation as much as owt else tbh, especially on the motorbike!

Back to the OP, I'm a little suprised by the police graphic specifying the 0.75m gap from curb to cyclist, .........

Me too!

Unlike a car, a cyclist can't just mount the pavement if they get "squeezed" in to the kerb; which is why I try to ride at least a metre out into the road.

Town roads especially are potential death-traps for cyclists.

Sharp "drop-offs" towards the kerb, unrepaired road surface damage, pot-holes, drain covers that are badly installed or maintained etc; ALL of which are often hidden under a layer of litter!

They make riding a bike close to the kerb dangerous, even without vehicles carving us up! :doh:

A big part of all this is (as mentioned in the link Sadfield posted) our roads are not designed to be shared by bikes and cars and many are not even designed for cars at all.

I'm only joking, would certainly work tho'! When going past some guy or gal on a horse I dip the clutch and coast past almost silently and give as wide a berth as possible. For self-preservation as much as owt else tbh, especially on the motorbike!

Gunge the title isn't driving too close to a horse 😂😂😂😂

......... they practically mount the opposing pavement in an enormous exaggerated swerve..

WOW! That brought back a totally unrelated memory!

I was driving overnight from Immingham to Oban to go diving and being followed by a mate with the other half of the Diving Club in his car.

Going through the small village of Balloch (I love the name!) I saw the headlights on John's car go everywhere as he obviously swerved backwards and forwards across the road.

We stopped for a breather at Crianlarich and I pointed out to John that I had noticed that he had swerved all over the road.

John was a taciturn type so his reply of "Cat." was not unusual.

"Did you miss it?" I asked "No," John replied, "but I had to mount the pavement to get it!" :whistle: :whistle:

Happy Days! :thumb:

I am a driver and a cyclist (mountain biking only) but when they go two or three abreast,I really need to dig deep and ask God to help me

Yes it's these cretins in lycra who ride two or three deep, chatting away and seemingly unaware of the hold-up they're causing that grinds my gears.

Yes it's these cretins in lycra who ride two or three deep, chatting away and seemingly unaware of the hold-up they're causing that grinds my gears.
I am a road cyclist. Usually solo (I like my own company). I also drive a car.

It amazes me how motorists treat cyclists. Yes there are a FEW that ride two or three deep however most motorists have little time for/give even less space for cyclists.

I think the main thing to remember is all cyclists are someone's father, mother, son daughter, etc.

If lorry drivers treated car drivers the way they treat cyclists there would be an uproar. At least in that situation all involved are protected by metal braces, etc. A plastic helmet survives a fall not a car collision.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I am a road cyclist. Usually solo (I like my own company). I also drive a car.....

I fully concur with you in all you say. It's the few who blatantly take the p*** I have a problem with. Everyone who uses the road has a gripe with someone else who also uses it, be it buses / white van men / motorcyclists etc. I've lost count of the times I know full well that a car driver has had a pop at me for riding a motorbike. But in my other life I'm a car driver too. Go analyse!

So the real question is, at what speed do you overtake a cyclist ? At what point do you think it is okay to give abuse to any other road user ? Why is it (mostly) perfectly good people become animals behind the wheel and blame it on road rage ?

If a cyclist is keeping up with traffic or maintaining the road speed should it be okay for them to position themselves like a car or motorbike ? And if they did would you go to overtake them or use your horn ? Because you wouldn't to a car or motorbike.

Please respond in an orderly fashion.

Latest posts

Back