Happy paying tv licence?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
What's your views?
Don't think ive had the tv on for 5 weeks now and then it was Netflix.
I am now listening to six music so maybe a hypocrite but I resent paying for the bbc crew going to glasto and having it so easy.
I would happily knock the beeb on the head and just pay for Netflix and watch chanel five for free..

What's your views?
Don't think ive had the tv on for 5 weeks now and then it was Netflix.
I am now listening to six music so maybe a hypocrite but I resent paying for the bbc crew going to glasto and having it so easy.
I would happily knock the beeb on the head and just pay for Netflix and watch chanel five for free..
we pay the tv licsence fee but I have to say if its been on in our house more than 10 hours a month for the last 5 years I would be over stating that fact,me and swmbo tend to do catch up on the lap tops,i for one wish they would take on advertising revenue to pay for their mostly sh1te programmes instead of a licsence:thumb:

Reactions: JFB
Ha! The TV Licence has been a bone of contention in this house for many years and not just because of the "Rip Off" factor. :nono: :nono:

With living/working overseas and living in a small cottage, two miles up a remote Scottish glen, I hadn't paid for a TV Licence in over ten years. The TV Licensing people didn't even know that I or the cottage existed!

However, in the flush of the "honeymoon period" SWMBO went out and bought me a TV for my birthday, paid cash and then gave the nosy gits at the shop MY name and address.

I thanked SWMBO for the birthday present with a heavy heart and sure enough, within a week I got a threatening letter from TV Licensing demanding to know why I didn't have a licence.

In view of the circumstances, I thought it only fair that SWMBO paid for the TV Licence out of her own money; which she has done for over thirty years now! :thumb:

GOOD NEWS! In March next year I reach 75 years of age and SWMBO WON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR A TV LICENCE ANY MORE!

Nope . Got the bill today - twelve pounds and summat a month to watch the news every now and again, which comprises mainly of global warming propaganda. They really ought to be paying me to accept the insult to my intelligence.

Looks like I am in a minority as our T.V is on a lot as SWMBO likes the soaps etc, I do watch several programmes a week so when you break the fee down into weekly amounts I would say we get good value for money, I may start a similar thread about car tax.

Agree with Chippy_Tea.

We don't watch a huge amount but I listen to loads of bbc radio, the nipper loves their cbeebies (Andy's Dinosaur Adventures is brill).

The nature docs alone are worth the �£. Best in the world.

I watch the news, despite it being pro/anti left/right leaning, antisemitic/Marxist/bigbizness funded depending on who you speak to.

I like the fact that it was (originally at least) set up to educate & is less driven by advertising (in principle), so you get interesting stuff that wouldn't make it off the ideas page for an advertiser funded station. Can't imagine itv2 spending �£ to reconstruct a huge ant nest filled with cameras(BBC4) , or have shows dedicated to dark/mental 'classical' Scriabin pieces like Radio 3. Classical FM stays much safer with its play list.

Loads of other stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, but glad it exists to offer alternatives to the usual banal boil in the bag dullness

Last edited:
I pay it without much thought but agree that if the BBC went down the advertising route then I would be happy with that. On top of the licence fee we pay sky £4.75 a month for everything apart from movies and sports which isn't bad. There are a few programmes that I like watching donut gets used. The kids love CBeebies etc but even my 2 year old now prefers his shows via YouTube because he can get a continuous run without needing to restart etc.

The TV licence is a fine thing.

For those who watch TV. Personally never had one. We've got a TV set and watch it most nights but only DVDs.

Anybody ever watched Fox ahem News

I loathe everything that the Murdoch Empire stands for.

A few weeks ago our Culture Secretary was "minded to" refer the latest bid by Fox to completely take over Sky to the Monopolies Commission. This was on the basis that Murdoch would be much too powerful in the UK because he already owns 39% of Sky as well as The Sun and The Times newspapers.

To me the "minded to" statement smacked of "If the bung is big enough I won't do it." and the deadline was 5pm yesterday!

According to the Financial Times, Murdoch failed to guarantee the independence of the Sky News Team so they reckon that the situation will go to a full-blown enquiry.

https://www.ft.com/content/a9a90ecc-67e5-11e7-9a66-93fb352ba1fe

They may be wrong of course. Maybe the bung was big enough for our esteemed government to just put it through on the nod! :doh: :doh:

Suddenly, the BBC looks a great institution and well worth paying for. :thumb:

The stupid thing is that you have to pay for it just to watch any live TV. Sitting watching the British gp qualifying on sky, which we obviously have to pay for, we have to pay the BBC as well, even if we don't actually watch it. I don't see sky charging people to watch bbc2!

The stupid thing is that you have to pay for it just to watch any live TV. Sitting watching the British gp qualifying on sky, which we obviously have to pay for, we have to pay the BBC as well, even if we don't actually watch it. I don't see sky charging people to watch bbc2!

Er ... I've just watched it live on Channel 4 for free. :thumb:

But I can remember a day when I watched Cup Finals, Formula One and a load of other Sports FOR FREE before Murdoch got his grubby hands on things and started to out-bid the BBC and even the commercial channels.

The way I see Murdoch's attempted take-over of Sky is this ...

Q. "Why would an Australian multi-billionaire want to buy Sky when he already owns 39% of the company and two of the most influential newspapers in the UK?"

A. "He wishes to increase his profits and his influence over UK affairs."

Q. "Why? Is it for the good of the people of the UK?"

A. "No, definitely 'NO!', it is to increase his own malign right-wing influence in UK affairs and increase his own profits."

... or am I being cynical again? :whistle:

Latest posts

Back