Yeast lifespan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrw

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a matter I'm pondering on, but does anyone know how long a yeast will remain active in post-brew bottle storage with a temperature range between 5c - 24c .....for the suitability of cloning and in knowing when poor Yeastie is officially dead (I miss him already :grin: ).Thanks in advance.

My personal view is that if the beer is still tasting nice and clean then the yeast should still be recoverable. Graham Wheeler suggests that you make a special batch of high gravity, hoppy beer that can be used to store yeast for long periods - easily a couple of years.

Thanks Dunfie :thumb: ,I'll read into that, that there is a strong possibility that a bottle of homebrew 5% or so will have viable yeast for a year at least :D

I've used the sediment from a bottle of Guiness that was 15 years old.
Unfortunately this was before I knew about yeast cultures, so I no longer have the strain.

ericstd said:
I've used the sediment from a bottle of Guiness that was 15 years old.
Unfortunately this was before I knew about yeast cultures, so I no longer have the strain.
WOW!! That's a Yeastie with it's own bus pass and full state pension! :rofl: :clap:

Back