Genius MkII Experiment on Saturday - Random Brew on Sunday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
Tomorrow i'm off to the HBS to spend another small fortune on equipment (bottles,bottlers, corkers, caps and corks, 2 or 3 more small fermenters for this experiment, more santister etc) and ingredients to tide me over the next few months as i've realised i'm not quite as strapped for cash as i thought, so why not spend some on the greatest invention of the world :D

When I get back i'll be brewing a Genius/taRd combination that i'm going to name Genius MkII, split 4 or 5 ways, and use different yeasts in each.

here's the recipe:

Batch Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.250
OG: 1045-50 (estimated cos i cant be bothered working it out)

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75-80 % - I STILL haven't worked it out yet, but will do after this brew ;)
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
3.250 kg. Pale Malt - Maris Otter
1.000 kg. Flaked Barley <- will change this next time
0.500 kg. Crushed Roast Barley
0.500 kg. Wheat Malt

Hops
70.0g Northern Brewer Hops (60 minutes Boil)
30.0g Northern Brewer Hops (30 minutes Boil) I want to add a teeny bit more bitterness to balance out the slightly sweeter nature of the taRd
30.0g Fuggles ,Challenger Hops, or NB (15 minutes Boil) Haven't decided yet which would be better for aroma, I want something "woody" to go with the smokey first sip so i might even go with more NB hops.

5g Irish Moss Fining 15 Min. (boil)

Yeast
Safale 04, Nottingham, Y-Yeast, Munton's Gold

120 minute mash @ 66 deg C to keep consistency with the last batch of taRd that turned out lovely :D
Boil is 60 minutes

On sunday after being inspired by Jon Pilling in this months Beer Magazine, i'm feeling brave, so i'm going to knock up something truly random... i'm not going to plan it out, i'm just going to go with my gut and put whatever i fancy in the boiler and mash tun (but obviously write down what i do put in incase it turns out nice).

I'm doing all this brewing amongst bottling my wine, getting my hair cut, doing my monthly food shop and sorting out a few other bits so it's going to be a manic weekend hehe

Good idea Stew, do it all in the one weekend and then put the feet up for the rest of the month :lol: :lol: Good luck with the brews :cool:

Thats a busy weekend Brews' looking forward to seeing how you get on!

All the best :D

thanks lads :)

this time though, i'm not going to start drinking at 11am which is what happened when my mate Sagacon came over for the last brewday :D

speaking of him, he should be doing his first ever brew tomorrow, a turbo cider. i've told him that he must take and post pics ;) i'm also his helpline for the 20-30 mins it'll take him to sort out :)

i'm contemplating getting another wine on too, and maybe a kit to quickly get my stocks up for the house warming party i intend on having soon. will see what takes my fancy when i pop into the HBS first thing tomorrow morning.

i'm contemplating getting another wine on too

We opened a 2006 vintage elderfower wine tonight. It's very nice but obviously hadn't attenuated enough pre boiling and it's more like a desert wine...just right for a bit of lemonade :cool:

vintage... that word has always baffled me when it comes to wines.

how the hell can something that is two years old be "vintage"?

please enlighten me oh brewmaster :pray:

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

please enlighten me oh brewmaster

You forgot the praying emoticon :pray: ...I am offended :lol:

This is the way I see it....in regard to beer wine and the meaning of life :D

If beer makes it out of the fermenter without seeing a straw it's lucky
If beer makes it to maturation, it's blessed
If anything makes it to 2 years....it's vintage...in fact sod that...it's a bloody miracle :twisted: :lol:

Vossy1 said:
You forgot the praying emoticon :pray: ...I am offended :lol:

take your beer goggles off for a second... :D ... i did use the pray emoticon :P

I like your sentiment :grin:

I woke up a little later than expected this morning. Just this second got back home

Got all my brew related shopping and hair cut, i'm gunna start the mash then go food shopping. Camera phone at the ready ;)

Right i'm back from shopping, all unpacked and i'm currently filling my face full of food to get my energy levels back up :D

Mash is due to finish at 4:15.

I decided to drop 500g of Flaked barley as Melvyn only had two packs in stock, so i'll save the other pack for another Genius later this month.

i've been taking a few pics here and there. will post when i'm done for the day later this evening ;)

Just approaching the hot break now.

I used up the last of my old sack of MO for this brew, and i can definitely see a difference in extraction :( i think i'm going to be a bit short of brew but that doesn't matter as i only need 20 litres for this experiment ;)

oh i forgot to add, Melvyn at the bedford HBS is ordering in some Irish Ale Wyeast for me. so whatever comes out on top for this experiment is then going up against the irish stuff :D

ohhhhhh my back!!!! :(

i've only just finished bottling the wine.

i'm ******* knackered.

everything went well with the genius MkII. it's now in 4 seperate fermenters.

i've got pics of the whole days events, but i need to go lie down... i've not stopped since 9:30am

will post the pics tomorrow

i think I'm gunna go pass out somewhere :roll:

Back