Temperature for storring beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azezal

Reaction score
Hi. I am on my third brew and almost run out of space in three fridges. I know after fermentation is complete and the beer is bottled and a couple days in warm room, it should go to a cool environment.

What I wanted is how cool does this environment need to be. Because I don't have a garage or anything. Would it be ok at room temp at about 20-22c?

If you store it at that temp it will probably over carbonate, so I believe.

Under Stair cupboard?

i used to store my in shed in garden, but thought it was getting to cold, plus the trek up the garden...so last weekend i bought it all into the spare bedroom, at 22c, haven't had any problems, after all, they end up in the fridge for a week at a time each batch i put in...then, what about all the bottles sat in warehouses and shops???, their warm aren't they???

Would imagine it would be ok in the house!

anything i'm drinking generally gets kept under my bar in my dining room... it's about a degree or too colder than room temp (about 16-18'c) in there i guess because it's enclosed. that works for me! :thumb:

bottles i store in the garage... dont know where i'm gunna store several hundred bottles though in the summer cos my garage gets well hot!

As cold as you can get it for storage . . . and 10-12C when dispensing. . . . Storing near freezing delays the 'ageing' process

Aleman said:
As cold as you can get it for storage . . . and 10-12C when dispensing. . . . Storing near freezing delays the 'ageing' process
Thanks for that Aleman, that's a great bit of information i never came across before :clap: I don't have to feel guilty about turfing my cornies out to the shed in winter time anymore :D

My kegs sat in the shed all winter and it went way below many times, no harm done, maybe a little chill haze but that clears when it warms again.

Dont forget if stored in bulk, i.e keg, the large volume of liquid will stay some degrees warmer than ambient due to its bulk. (thats a beer fact, and proven) ;-)

KevP said:
Dont forget if stored in bulk, i.e keg, the large volume of liquid will stay some degrees warmer than ambient due to its bulk. (thats a beer fact, and proven) ;-)
No, if the ambient temperature is constant eventually the liquid temperature will reach the same as ambient . . . If the ambient is fluctuating the liquid temperature in a large mass of liquid will lag some way behind the ambient.

All my kegs are room temperature and rarely drop below 15c and are served via a flash chiller. I don't see (or taste rather) anything bad in my beer after a couple of months.

so...after bottling the beer, how long will it last in the bottle?, does it go off after a certain period of time then??
Curious because i have a lot of bottled beer!! :thumb:

I think that depends on many things including the strength of the beer, how heavily hopped it is, how it's stored and how good your sanitation regime is. My beers don't last that long :oops: I think i read on the net a few months ago about some bottles of beer that were found, thousands of years old and they were good :shock: although i'm sure yours won't last that long :lol:

Hi. Thanks for all the advice. I can only really store the bottles in empty cupboards and the larger storage area already have fridges in them producing heat. I think the temparature in the cupboards will be almost as warm as room temparature.

Does anyone know any form of a natural low cost way to bring the temperature down a little bit, like the opposite effect of insulating an area. The only one I can think of apart from regrigeration, is using fans, but you can imagine how difficult that would be inside cupboards and it will add to the electricity bill.

I will test the temp inside the cupboards anyway and compare it to room temp.

insulation works both ways..

fridges are insulated with foam inside the plastic walls.. if you were to turn the fridge off, aslong as the door is kept shut it'll stay cold for quite some time... same principle for cold cupboards

there are people that have made an insulated cupboard, frozen bottles of water in their freezer, and put them in the cold cupboard, exchanging them every day as they melt... the only energy used is already being used to keep your food frozen anyway.

There's always the old evaporation method.

Wrap the keg or bottles with an old t-shirt or something and dip one end in water. As the water evaporates, it will cool the beer.

I haven't personally done this so I'm not sure how convenient it would be.

jamesb said:
There's always the old evaporation method.

Wrap the keg or bottles with an old t-shirt or something and dip one end in water. As the water evaporates, it will cool the beer.

I haven't personally done this so I'm not sure how convenient it would be.

I've heard of that method too, you can also do that and have a desk fan blowing air over the wet shirt for greater effect.

Latest posts

Back