Water report - Severn Trent Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cononthebarber

Landlord.
Reaction score
I got emailed a very detailed water report for my area from Severn Trent, however it is missing certain figures needed for the treatment calculator. There is no figure given for Calcium, Magnesium or Carbonate it does have some numbers relating to "hardness" on some french and german scales? Should I just leave out the figures above or give them a call to see if I can get the info?

Vossy1 said:
....I'm lucky
I know a man who will know though ;)

Not me I don't think.

You should get yourself a Salifert Kit to test for alkalinity (hardness) and you can then use Caarbonate Reducing Solution (CRS) to adjust your alkalinity and then adjust your calcium with gypsum or calcium chloride depending on beer style.

The trouble with water reports are that they are general and don't reflect what comes out of your tap at the time you are brewing, they are a guide, but in my opinion they are a waste of time for your brew day.

Dead right buy a salifert alkalinity test kit and go to Brupacks site information water treatment and print off and read additions with CRS ( carbonate reducing solution ) and DLS ( dry liquor salts :drink: game over.

Cononthebarber said:
I got emailed a very detailed water report for my area from Severn Trent, however it is missing certain figures needed for the treatment calculator. There is no figure given for Calcium, Magnesium or Carbonate it does have some numbers relating to "hardness" on some french and german scales? Should I just leave out the figures above or give them a call to see if I can get the info?
The water companies do not need to measure the alkalinity as a statutory requirement, so they don't bother.

While it appears that the hardness figure as CaCO3 is what we want actually it isn't and is a long way from what is required. while it is theoretically possible to calculate the alkalinity from calcium and magnesium hardness the results leave a lot to be desired.

Therefore the advice to get a Salifert Alkalinity test kit is the correct one, as simple test and multiplying by 50 will give you the alkalinity of your water as CaCO3. this can be plumbed directly into the THBF Water Treatment Calculator which should allow you to adjust your water correctly.

HARDNESS IS NOT THE SAME AS ALKALINITY SO DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO

Latest posts

Back