Single Hop, Single Malt. Any Yeast Ideas ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RokDok said:
Now this is getting very interesting.

One of the ciders we made last year, in fact from my own tree which is an old unknown variety produced a really clear crisp sparkly light cider- we just pressed the juice and left it for a few months before bottling, it's a wild yeast, so must be a kind of brettanomyces, so perhaps I should culture some of that from a bottle and try that in one FV.

Something continental also appeals.

Mmmm.

Food for thought.

RD[/quote
That's interesting - all I ever see is the ups and downs of making cider with apple. I would love to be lucky enough to make something that tastes great from one apple type and wild yeast!

Brewing tomorrow.

Bought a couple of timer plugs so can get HLT switched on at 5 am, get first mash on at 7 and go back to bed for an hour and a half.

RECIPE

Maris Otter 12.5 kg
Wheat Malt 3 kg

EKG 170 g 90 mins
EKG 80 g 10 mins

Final Vol= 90 litres
OG 1039
ABV 3.9
Total Liquor 118
Mash Liquor 40 l
Bitterness 34
Colour 6

I think Dennis (?) uses some wheat malt in all his recipes to give a good retentive head, is the above about right ??

HLT, Mash Tun, Boiler are all 70 l, so the intention is to fill the boiler with about 60 l of wort and continue sparging into a separate vessel to collect a further 30 l to back liquor so that I will then have 3 * 30l FVs (plus some over for an experimental batch with my wild cider yeast)

I'll then do another identical back to back brew giving 6 FVs of 30 l plus a smaller one of 10 l for the cider yeast.

YEASTS

Thanks for the advice on this.

Alison at Brew labs was very helpful.

I told her what was planned and that we would be using water from a local spring, which will be a bit alkaline as it's filtered through chalk.

She sent me six yeast slopes, which she thought should demonstrate a wide variety of flavours. Not only that but she also sent me vials of the same yeasts which she'd already started off in wort.

Here they are:

P1040408.jpg

1) Burton
2) Thwaites style
3) Wards style
4) York 51
5) F 40
6) TV 1

And lastly the wild yeast from the cider made from our 'Sunroom' apple tree.

Some friends have just brought the water round, so I'm just going to set everything up in the garage for another big day tomorrow.

The 6 FVs will get distributed to the rest of the brew group which they will bottle in due course, we'll then have a taste off.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

RokDok

Latest posts

Back