Campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm in a teacup

Reaction score
I treat the tap water I use for my mash and sparge with a Campden tablet however sometimes my brew length is a bit short and I top it up with water.

If I top it up with tap water should I add water treated with a Campden tablet or can I just add untreated water from the tap.

I currently just add untreated tap water and I have not noticed any off flavours but I am always looking to improve my process.

What I am really want to know is the Campden Table I add still effective after being heated for the mash and the sparge? Is it effective enough to treat the couple of litres I sometimes have to add to the brew length or should I add treated water?

Cheers chaps

Nick

Check your water with your water company. Campden will get rid of chlorine if it is added. Not all water companies add it. I always use tap water for both beer and wine, but my water is soft so needs little treatment. But even if your water had added chlorine the small amounts you add untreated should be fine. Heating the water will get rid of the campden. So by the time you mash and sparge it will be gone.

Latest posts

Back