Fastest yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheat beer yeast. Brew some weissbier and it will be ready in at most 18 days.

Wear some lederhosen. Put some nice German'ish music on stereo, like Hanzel und Gretyl. It helps. :lol:

Or learn patience. :D

My mild on S-04 was fine in not much longer time, like 24 days from pitching to drinking. But it can not beat weizen, my current is 16 days old and is fine, if only bit undercarbed (4 days since bottling, should be another 2 really).

I can usually have a beer in 4 weeks from pitching yeast to carbonated bottle, Its very quaffable but not as good as it will be in 6 months.

You could also probably get a beer to ferment down in 48 hrs if you pitch enough yeast but fast ferment doesn't necessarily make for a good beer, a lot of beers flavours come from the initial growth phases and if you pitch enough yeast you will not have very much growth phase and this inturn will impact on flavour. You could ramp up the temp but I don't think you will like the end product. :sick: :sick:

Have you got a deadline or are you naturally impatient. :lol:

graysalchemy said:
Have you got a deadline or are you naturally impatient. :lol:

My current keg is almost empty, the one I have conditioning will be a while still, then I have two in fermentors which are also going to take a while..... which means.... no homebrew! :shock:

Its not a case of the fastest yeast, its more a case of how quiclky you can get the beer to be drinkable. Under favourable conditions yeast will finish fully fermenting out when its ready, not before. Rushed fermentation will lead to all sorts of problems, just let it do its thang.
Ive consulted by boss (ex pro brewer) on this matter before, he is also a advocate of young fresh beer.
Ferment for 2 weeks, rack into a secondary with gelatine leaves...leave for 1 week. Transfer to a bottom tapped keg with more gelatine. This will drop clear in 3 days and is ready to drink. This suits "milds and old ales" perfectly...of course it wont be carbonated, but IMHO they shouldnt be. Ready to drink within 1 month.

P.S. Dont but gelatine leaves, PM me and Ill send you some for free.
HTH

The only downside is that it must be drunk within 3 days

johnnyboy1965 said:
This suits "milds and old ales" perfectly

:wha: :wha:

Surely 'Old Ales' are err Old and benifit from being aged otherwise they won't be old ales :wha: :wha:

I had my first kit ferment out inside 7 days and was drinking it inside 14 days, no patience, no knowledge :(

It wasn't horrible to be honest, a Cooper's English Bitter fermented on a warming plate at 26 degrees C according to the stick on thermometer on the FV. I did get a mild hangover when drinking 4 or 5 pints in a session, possibly due to the way yeast makes alchohol at higher fermentation temperatures.

Alternately, get more kegs / bottles / cornies and build up a stash to protect against the horror of running out :D

im drinking coopers wheat beer at the moment and its nearly all gone, brewed it with 1kg of wheat malt extract so its pretty wheaty! Mine was ready and drinkable very quickly, ill do it again when i need beer quickly. Moving to the dark side soon though!

Latest posts

Back