AG#1 Water Query - North Tyneside - noob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layolayo

Reaction score
Hi - getting all excited about my first AG brew. Then started looking at the Water Treatment Calculator...! :hmm: Forgive me but I got a little bemused and worried - I downloaded the full water quality document from www.nwl.co.uk for my area, some of the values are on there (and I appreciate you peeps in the know say check it yourself).

But before I have to go and worry some more about my water quality. How important is this...? Will using a campden tablet for chlorine/chlorides be enough..? Do I have to use Gypsum and Salt? What will happen if I don't? Too many bl**dy questions now...!

for NE25 8TN - Northumbrian Water
48mg/l Calcium (120mg/l as Calcium Carbonate)
a full report (http://www.nwl.co.uk/_assets/files/wq/N140.pdf)

Thanks in advance!! - I'll be making a Timmy Taylor Landlord

Layolayo

Hi there. If its worrying you, I'd suggest not bothering with your water treatments this time. Your beer will still be good, and it's one less thing to think about as your first all grain batch. As you get more confident you could shift over to add the water treatment (the various chemicals are easily available) and taste for yourself the difference it makes in comparison.

Have fun!

Thanks - good to know it isn't a major factor.

Just had confirmation from the hopshopuk that my kit is 'on route', so will acquaint myself with it all on Thursday when I get back home. Brew day AG#1 soon afterwards hopefully.

Cheers

Layolayo

Latest posts

Back