Feeding the ducks with spent grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich27500

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just spent half an hour or so feeding various wildfowl at our local reservoir, I googled this first and nothing indicated you shouldn't. Those critters loved it. Will definitely do this again.

They won't like it ! The authorities I mean. If its a reservoir they won't tolerate you chucking grains in to their drinking water reserve. They put up with folks feeding bread as its so popular and not easy to stop and besides bread floats and all gets eaten eventually. Grain sinks and can start to rot, releasing toxins. ( or so they say ) Besides it makes Canada Geese **** more.

When we had ducks we used to feed it to them. They couldn't get enough of it. If you have a compost bin it's good for your compost too. I personally wouldn't worry on the reservoir, I'm sure there's a lot grimmer stuff lurking in there, besides if you leave it on the edge the ducks will see to it in no time.

Richard
I do not have a problem with feeding your brewing waste to the duck and geese at Pitsford, this providing that once you have finished feeding your barley there is no waste for other vermin like Rats to eat up the rest.
If you go to the cause way car park there are that, many ducks/geese you will probably get mugged by them!

The authorities don't like people feeding ducks/geese bread as it causes Botulism to spread to the animals and the watercourse.

Most authorities would prefer you feed waterfowl grains and I always find that there is never any left for vermin to get their paws on

Back