Aluminium Verses Stainless Steel Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stainless easier for welding, no restriction for cleaning chemicals (within reason), does not form an easily removable oxide layer, naturally shiny, harder to scratch.
Alu; Lighter :hmm: easier to drill and grind

Ali Kegs are lined with a resin layer . . . as they age this layer wears off with the harsh cleaning and has to be replaced . . . it is a RPITA to inspect and know when to replace. . . . Lighter than SS . . . will corrode if kept outside (I've seen it) in the (acid) rain. . . . easily dented.

Aleman said:
Ali Kegs are lined with a resin layer . . . as they age this layer wears off with the harsh cleaning and has to be replaced . . . it is a RPITA to inspect and know when to replace. . . . Lighter than SS . . . will corrode if kept outside (I've seen it) in the (acid) rain. . . . easily dented.

If the resin layer wears off will it contaminate the the beer?

The production guys were always pretty careful to seperate out the Ali Kegs on the kegging line

Sorry I worked for Matthew Brown / S&N Production for a time, and ali kegs were segregated on the kegging line to ensure that they were checked frequently . . . I always assumed that it was because if the resin coat was worn it could taint the beer. . . . for the same reason we used steel blanks in the canning line

Latest posts

Back