Ris

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,
My next brew tomorrow is going to be a ris off the coopers website.

Which is the best yeast to use.

And also what is the conditioning time for this beast.

Thanks

Big deal 2657

Hi all,
My next brew tomorrow is going to be a ris off the coopers website.

Which is the best yeast to use.

And also what is the conditioning time for this beast.

Thanks

Big deal 2657

I used mj's belgian ale yeast to get fruitiness into the beer. It has been renamed to mj's saison m29 I believe but will ferment up to 14% or you could use a cleaner yeast.

I did this using Cooper's yeast (3 sachets, I think). Needs a year before it's at its best, though it's worth sampling a bottle every month or so to see how it changes. At first it's very boozy, almost like madeira. It smooths out as it goes though.

I used mj's belgian ale yeast to get fruitiness into the beer. It has been renamed to mj's saison m29 I believe but will ferment up to 14% or you could use a cleaner yeast.

What was your OG and your FG? I have used the M27/M29 in several brews, but not dark ones. With dark ones I tend to get a lower AA for my yeasts than with pale beer. But the M27/M29 ferments down to 1,002-1,001. Using this in a beer brewed with brown and roast malts will probably give a higher FG. Can you confirm this?

What was your OG and your FG? I have used the M27/M29 in several brews, but not dark ones. With dark ones I tend to get a lower AA for my yeasts than with pale beer. But the M27/M29 ferments down to 1,002-1,001. Using this in a beer brewed with brown and roast malts will probably give a higher FG. Can you confirm this?

Here's what I had with this yeast. grain/malt/sugar bill included to help compare with your recipe. only used 1 packet re-hydrated and for up to 22 litres of wort.

og 1090 - fg 1011 - risky business

250g choc
250g roasted barley
250g aromatic
500g dark crystal
3kg medium dme
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar

og 1.108 - fg 1010 - king kong

2kg extra dark dme
1 kg medium
1 kg ex light
500g dwe
500g candi dark
450g golden syrup
500g aromatic malt
500g dark crystal
250g roasted barley.
250g caramunich iii

og 1.082 - fg 1014 east vs west

1.5kg med extract
1kg dark extract
500g extra dark extract
500g dwe
500g dark candi sugar
450g golden syrup
500g dark crystal malt 90 lovibond
500g roast barley
500g choc

so yes you'd get a higher fg.

Currently doing one, similar to the coopers, just used 5 pack of kit yeast. Currently at 1.024 from 1.096 so doing ok, and still getting the odd bubble every minute or so.

Back