Which CO2 injector equipment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18576

Reaction score
I'm a new member and although I've brewed beer in the past its been a while!

So i am looking into buying new kit and before I buy barrels I'm trying to decide which injector system to buy - Hamilton Bard S30 CO2 Cylinder or Brass Valve & Bulb Holder for 8gram CO2. I believe I need to decide on the injection system before I buy the appropriate barrel with brass valve included.

Talking of barrels also can't decide between a King Keg with bottom tap or sphere shaped barrel - Any advice?

Paul

I also use a air pump for serving the beer, you can buy the gas injection for it but as I am out of work the pump works good with no extra cost for gas, they say to drink the mini keg within a few days coz your using air, that's no problem 😀, and they don't take up loads of room in fridge, brilliant

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I also use a air pump for serving the beer, you can buy the gas injection for it but as I am out of work the pump works good with no extra cost for gas, they say to drink the mini keg within a few days coz your using air, that's no problem 😀, and they don't take up loads of room in fridge, brilliant

This company sells the air pump or gas injectors for the mini kegs
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-systems-159-c.asp

I'm a new member and although I've brewed beer in the past its been a while!

So i am looking into buying new kit and before I buy barrels I'm trying to decide which injector system to buy - Hamilton Bard S30 CO2 Cylinder or Brass Valve & Bulb Holder for 8gram CO2. I believe I need to decide on the injection system before I buy the appropriate barrel with brass valve included.

Talking of barrels also can't decide between a King Keg with bottom tap or sphere shaped barrel - Any advice?

Paul

I use both S30 CO2 cylinder and the 8g bulbs in my King Kegs. I prefer the S30 cylinder as its cheaper in the long run and I can also regulate how much gas to put in. Once I have filled the barrel, I give it a quick blast with the S30 cylinder and then purge the air out.

I like the King Keg barrels. Others don't as they have had problems with them. I have 3 King Kegs (all bottom tap) and don't have any issues with them.

I would take a look at the Balliihoo kegs selection, I replaced my king keg lids with their lids and solved a whole lot of issues I was having with sealing on my king kegs - their lid seals are square section instead of the round section seals supplied with king kegs normally and I have found them much more reliable. Their lids are also pre-fitted with a schrader valve and come with a digital pressure gauge so you can check things are carbing up as expected.

The valves in their lids are the stainless steel jobbies and I can swap between co2 bulbs and hambleton bard bottles of co2, by removing the piercing pin from the valve for hambleton bard bottles (and replacing for bulbs). I don't swap between as have found the hambleton bard bottle much better/economical but could go back to bulbs by replacing the pins in the valves if necessary.

They sell their own kegs (top tap), but also king kegs (bottom tap) fitted with their magic lids.

Here is a link: https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#barrels-accessories-c-11_45.html

If you're serious about getting back into the hobby maybe consider Corny kegs, really not that much more expensive than King Kegs but oh so much more reliable and versatile especially if you want to try force carbonation at some stage. Only issue is finding a local supplier of pub sized CO2 cylinders.

Bargain at the moment: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-grade-a-p-3669.html (There's a discount code on the forum too!).

My long term plan is to switch over as a current King Keg user and playing the roulette of will they / won't they prime with each brew. Last two perfect, this time not. It's a bit frustrating!

I have owned a range of kegs/barrels (including cornies) and just find king kegs with S30 valve the easiest to use and clean.

Many thanks to all those answers to my questions.
I've now got several options to consider which one's suits me best.
Things have moved on a bit since I last brewed some 30 years ago. I remember (just about) using Tom Caxton kits before going over to mashing. Got a lot of recipes using 'Brewing beer like those you buy' By David Line (I think that was the author's name).

Anybody remember Ind Coupes Burton Ale? available in the 1980's.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Many thanks to all those answers to my questions.
I've now got several options to consider which one's suits me best.
Things have moved on a bit since I last brewed some 30 years ago. I remember (just about) using Tom Caxton kits before going over to mashing. Got a lot of recipes using 'Brewing beer like those you buy' By David Line (I think that was the author's name).

Anybody remember Ind Coupes Burton Ale? available in the 1980's.

Kind regards,

Paul.

I've recently came back to home brewing since I used to do it 30 years ago too, and like you, I used the recipes for mashing from the same book. I now use a Grainfather which makes brewing a lot easier.

I've still got some Rotokeg's that use the S30 valve for the Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinder. I have a new King Keg with bottom tap too. The top taps are better if you have the barrels on the floor but there's less to go wrong with the bottom tap versions. I've also got myself a second Cornelius 19L keg and a Maxi 210 cooler.

I do remember Ind Coope Burton Ale, very nice it was too. An earlier nice one was Ansell's Aston Ale which was similar. :drink:

Latest posts

Back