Lowering ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andywilde16

Reaction score
I have a 2nd Youngs American IPA kit to start, my first attempt ended up with an ABV of 6.9% which is a little high for session drinking!!

My question is on this 2nd attempt is there an easy way to ensure the ABV comes out around 4.5% - 5% - it comes with a Malt pouch and 1kg of brewing sugar, is it a case that I just do not add all of the 1kg of sugar?

If this is the case how can I work out the amount of sugar required?

Thanks in advance as the beer has an awesome taste just could do with a little less alcohol in it!!

Either add less sugar or add more water.

ABV = (1.05/0.79) x ((OG - TG) / TG) x 100

Where 1.05 is the number of grams of ethanol produced for every gram of CO2 produced, and .79 is the density of ethanol. TG = Target Gravity and OG = Original Gravity.

This boils down to

ABV = 133x(OG-TG)/TG)

Swap that around and

OG=((ABV/133)xTG)+TG

Assuming that most beers finish around 1.010 TG you can roughly work out what your OG should be, mix the malt extract up to desired volume and then add sugar until you get the desired OG.

A 5% beer would be

((5/133)x1.010)+1.010=1.048 OG

Sadfields working is most accurate but I recon as a rough estimate 1Kg of table sugar in 23L will add 2.4% ABV based on 18g per L = 1%ABV so just leavng it out should make what you want.

Sadfields working is most accurate but I recon as a rough estimate 1Kg of table sugar in 23L will add 2.4% ABV based on 18g per L = 1%ABV so just leavng it out should make what you want.
Yeah that's an easier way to work it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sadfield for your excellent post, I will follow your advice and OG - also thanks simon12 for your advise I will heed that when making up the kit.

Sadfield - I would be interested in some more information on the Macc Home Brew Club if possible.

Sorry Andy missed this. What would you like to know?

Where are you based?

We meet at 7.30pm on the last Tuesday of each month at Five Cloud Tap and Bottle. Bring a bottle or two to share around and chat about.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Back