Help - TCP ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
My 3rd AG is beavering away (what I thought nicely), but on doing an SG last night I tried it.

There is a hint of TCP in there !! Gutted.

Now - I think the problem may be heat, the brew fridge was busy with TC so it's been sat next to it. The heat fluctuating so worried too warm.

Is my #3 dead ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience trial jars can tell you if a beer is going to be good, but they can't tell you if it is going to be bad. All sorts of odd tastes can and do condition out, so it is far too early to tell.

In my experience trial jars can tell you if a beer is going to be good, but they can't tell you if it is going to be bad. All sorts of odd tastes can and do condition out, so it is far too early to tell.

Cheers mate - I'll crack on then if it's not too abnormal.

Off the top of my head I thought TCP like flavours are due to how the yeast reacts with badlt rinsed chlorine based cleaners (or very high water levels), if this is the case it will not condition out.

What yeast did you use and what were the temps? In my experience anything that tastes extremely rank at bottling never becomes drinkable. I have had to chuck a lot of beer away including some over a year old. I brewed a rye IPA a few months ago that had an intense medicinal taste in the FV and that went down the drain. I use RO water and starsan so don't really know the cause.

What yeast did you use and what were the temps? In my experience anything that tastes extremely rank at bottling never becomes drinkable. I have had to chuck a lot of beer away including some over a year old. I brewed a rye IPA a few months ago that had an intense medicinal taste in the FV and that went down the drain. I use RO water and starsan so don't really know the cause.

Safale 05.
I didn't have in my brew fridge so temp fluctuated between 18-24, peaked at 26 yesterday with the hot day.

I'd plan to bottle Monday so I'll perhaps taste again then and make a decision.

Safale 05.
I didn't have in my brew fridge so temp fluctuated between 18-24, peaked at 26 yesterday with the hot day.

I'd plan to bottle Monday so I'll perhaps taste again then and make a decision.

That's not that hot. Anyway fingers crossed and don't let it get you down. Still very much worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back