Brewlab yeast slopes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought one of these from Leyland HBS recently not really checking what it was, thinking it was probably a phial of yeast culture of several billion cells that just needed two days or so as a starter before pitching.

Well I boiled up some spray malt, cleaned and sterilised the flask etc. and then read the instructions. Its an agar "plate" in a small bottle, at an angle, hence the term slope. It has the yeast on the plate, you put some of the wort into to wash it off then stick it back in the flask and incubate. So likely to take some time, so not ready for yesterday's 65 litre brew which I used 2 packets of dried Nottingham for that I hastily dehydrated. They have quite a decent range of yeasts - never tried them before though.

So I'm thinking of incubating the yeast from the slope for a couple more days then sticking it into little phials I bought for the purpose and putting them in the fridge. Not done this before, any tips?

Cheers
NB

You'll be ok doing what you planned.

I think BrewLab offer an excellent service, they have a huge database over and above the yeasts they list on their website. You can email them with your recipe and they will recommend a yeast or if you want a particular brewery yeast they will usually be able to provide it.

The thing is when you order from them direct they make up the slope and send it to you in a few days, it's so fresh it gets going immediately.

I'm planning a Styrian Stunner on Saturday, started a 300ml starter from a Timothy Taylor yeast slope on Sunday and have stepped that up to 1L today, so you do need to plan in advance, but just the same with any liquid yeast.

Highly recommeded :thumb: :thumb:

Like Ed I've started with their recommended 300ml starter then stepped up, more than happy with the service and quality.

Latest posts

Back