Questions on hops :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
So I've got a few questions, no real definite answer I guess, but just after some ideas...

1) I'm gonna brew a fair whack of SMaSH beers. Any suggestions on hops I'll be buying a pack per brew, so no need to go easy on the aroma/dry hop I guess ;)

2) Secondly, high alphas. They're very useful for bittering up low volume extract boils, down to the fact that they leave more room for the aroma hops. Any experience with them (my highest is 9.5%,) and what did you think?

3) Extract boils, if I did a 70 minute boil, could I boil the bittering hops for 60 minutes, fish them out with a sieve, then add loads of aroma hops? I struggle with space with a 10L boil...

Last, I'm looking for a really malty milk stout. Loads of toffee, retention, maybe oatmeal etc, but little on the hops. Would Saaz be good for this?

Thanx! :cheers:

RobWalker said:
Last, I'm looking for a really malty milk stout. Loads of toffee, retention, maybe oatmeal etc, but little on the hops. Would Saaz be good for this?

Brambling Cross is a great hop for oatmeal stout. :thumb:

High Alphas I use target a lot for bittering, it can be a bit of a thug and noticeable when green but mellows down. I usually boil for 90 minutes.

RobWalker said:
3) Extract boils, if I did a 70 minute boil, could I boil the bittering hops for 60 minutes, fish them out with a sieve, then add loads of aroma hops? I struggle with space with a 10L boil...
'

Novel Idea but i don't see why it wouldn't work :thumb:

As for a SMASH I would say cascade :thumb:

cheers boys. i'm unsure about the galaxy as i've had it in a commercial single hop, tasted weird...but maybe the home brew will be better. one to consider.
as for cascade, will go for it! :cheers:

Grays, am I looking at english hops then? I'm not a fan of bramling cross, much like target I find it REALLY earthy and a complete blunt instrument...I wanna make a really mild, malty stout, tonnes of body, not much bitterness :)

will check target out, gonna place an order soon. cheers :)

Single malt and single hop. Pale malt with one type of hop, yeast, and nothing else. It's a way to make a light beer and get an idea of the flavour of the hop you are using :)

Hey Buddy,

It's not exactly Smash but I made a very nice single hop beer recently.

3.5kg pale malt
300g caramalt

50g brewers gold 90min
30g 40min
20g 15min

25l pre boil. ended up with just under 20l in FV. Consider adding a handful of sugar to crisp it up.

Tasted excellent, a little harsh when green but matured beautifully.

I'll definately be making it again.

DC

1) I'm gonna brew a fair whack of SMaSH beers. Any suggestions on hops I'll be buying a pack per brew, so no need to go easy on the aroma/dry hop I guess ;)
Try Styrian Goldings, aka Styrian Stunner, aka many others...hard to beat :drink:

RobWalker said:
cheers boys. i'm unsure about the galaxy as i've had it in a commercial single hop, tasted weird...but maybe the home brew will be better. one to consider.

Grays, am I looking at english hops then? I'm not a fan of bramling cross, much like target I find it REALLY earthy and a complete blunt instrument...I wanna make a really mild, malty stout, tonnes of body, not much bitterness :)

My oatmeal stout is exactly what you describe no earthiness at all. It is used as a 90 min addition so it is only really the bittereness that comes through.

graysalchemy said:
RobWalker said:

My oatmeal stout is exactly what you describe no earthiness at all. It is used as a 90 min addition so it is only really the bittereness that comes through.

great, i'll keep that in mind then as I've got about 80g sat doing nothing :) cheers.

Vossy, are they the same as Bobek or are bobek the type 2? I've got one brewed up with just HNB (bittering) and Bobek (flavour/aroma) at the moment, it's a bit...washing up liquid :hmm: not bad, but not amazing.

DirtyCaner, cheers! Might give it a go without the caramalt. Or maybe with. Iunno :) can you remember your IBU and OG? I can convert to full extract that way...

BigJim - food for thought, havn't got into american hops yet but I will check 'em out, keep me updated :cheers: thanx!

evan - no probs! :)

"
DirtyCaner, cheers! Might give it a go without the caramalt. Or maybe with. Iunno :) can you remember your IBU and OG? I can convert to full extract that way..."

Can I fook, but I'll have a wee hunt through my notes for you. I would advise use of the caramalt though, it tasted sublime, might crack a bottle open this weekend...

Eether eay I'm sure one of the clever folks on site could do a conversion for u.

DC

Back