Marmite as a yeast nutrient,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
As the title says I read in a few places of people using Marmite as a yeast nutrient, just wondered if any one here as actually done it, I've only ever stuck it on my toast.

Dunno, but that sounds awful! As if Marmite didn't taste brutal enough eating it, you want to put it in a drink as well!!! :sick:

I don't think it's a great nutrient, I think it's just seen as better than nothing if you don't have proper nutrient. I've never used it myself as I always keep a decent stash of nutrient in my cupboard :D

Don't have any nutrient at the moment, but I have some wine nutrient, wonder if that will also do the same job.

dennisking said:
Don't have any nutrient at the moment, but I have some wine nutrient, wonder if that will also do the same job.

I always thought yeast nutrient was yeast nutrient, didn't realise there was different types. I can't see why it wouldn't work for all types, but you never know.

The tub of nutrient I have doesn't state any particular use, other than nourishing yeast :D

Marmite is yeast and I believe does make a good nutrient, just like the trub from a previous brew. Yeast is canabolistic and will pick up nutrients from dead yeast cells. I remember back in my dark distant school days a physics teacher telling some sixth formers how to brew and one thing I always remember was marmite. :thumb: :thumb:

Go for it Dennis. :thumb:

I too heard this, and on a previous batch of cider, I put a teaspoon of marmite into one DJ, as it wasn't fermenting very quickly, and spelt 'eggy', and I was reliably informed that that meant that it needed nutrient.
the resulting brew was nicer than the other DJ, but did taste ever so slightly salty to me, but not to anyone else, as I didn't tell them there was marmite in it.

can't see why it wouldn't work.

Back