Whole Hops Vs Pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Henry

Reaction score
I've always used whole dry hops, with much pleasure and without problems. But what about pellets? I'm thinking of giving them a go but wondering if theres any difference, and if the weights should be altered, or is it fine to use pellets gram for gram as you would whole hops... Does anyone here use them? and if so why. Is there any difference? which are you preference if you've used both.

Ive only used pellets once and ive only ever had my boiler tap blocked coincidentaly both at the same time so im not actually sure it was the pellets but its put me off using them

My boiler has no tap, so I have no problems using pellets. For me the choice is obvious, less storage area occupied means less problems with swmbo. Plus pellets are more efficient, you need approx. 10% less for the same effect.

You need a fine mesh bag for hop pellets for both the copper and if dry hopping.
These hop bags are good value from H&G.

mixale said:
You need a fine mesh bag for hop pellets for both the copper and if dry hopping.
These hop bags are good value from H&G.

If you want to use these bags in copper make sure they are really loose packed. And even this can not guarantee consistent hop utilization.

Pellets are really intended for use with whirlpool and then wort has to be siphoned from above the trub, with optional filtering device.

Latest posts

Back