Gas for Corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc86

Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying a Corny this week but I don't know what gas option would suit me best.

As far as Im aware the options are those little disposable canisters (nah :roll:) s30 cylinder (Hambleton Bard?), or a propper pub CO2 cylinder with a regulator.

Iv read people sugesting asking a pub landlord whom you get on well enough with for a pub style cylinder. Perhaps another option may be to find a cylinder and get it refilled. There is a place not far from where I work that refills them for £10. Not sure if you have to buy the cylinder from them for this though. I spoke to someone who said if you look around - its not difficult to get co2 but it's not entirely above board. Whats that about?

How long does a pub cylinder actualy last? Is it long enough to be worth while finding a one and getting it charged up? I read in another post someone saying years! Surely not :rofl: .

Cheers. :drink:

I am very wasteful with CO2 and I generally find that My pub cylinder lasts at least 18 months . . . And I have a leak somewhere :roll: So Its a lot less if I forget to turn the gas off.

Another alternative is a Midget widget gas system. . . . which also take Sodastream cylinders with a little bit of persuasion.

Ross at Craftbrewer also sells an adapter that enables you to use a proper gas regulator with Sodastream cylinders.

Aleman said:
jamesb said:
Not to mention the gas they sell in Halfords.
You weren't supposed to mention the gas they sell in Halfords! :twisted:

What? This one?

DSCF0065.jpg

corby_brewer said:
What sort of price are you talking about for one of those JB?

From the website, 12 quid for gas, 15 quid for the regulator. You'd have to find a pressure gauge yourself, although I know of someone who used the one from a bike pump.

One word though, they're more expensive in store than they are on the website, but if you reserve them online and go into the store and pay you get them for the web price.

You can get a large bottle from a bar goods wholesaler for under £8. I get mine replaced every year or so at a place called Agars Soft Drinks near Buxton :thumb:

Aleman said:
I am very wasteful with CO2 and I generally find that My pub cylinder lasts at least 18 months . . . And I have a leak somewhere :roll: So Its a lot less if I forget to turn the gas off.

Another alternative is a Midget widget gas system. . . . which also take Sodastream cylinders with a little bit of persuasion.

Ross at Craftbrewer also sells an adapter that enables you to use a proper gas regulator with Sodastream cylinders.

What advantage does the soda stream cylinder offer over hambleton bard/midget widget?

31bb3 said:

That looks exactly like my bottle - the only difference is that mine is food grade CO2 whereas that is not necessarily food grade. In reality, there is apparently no difference between the two (they are probably filled at the same plant) apart from perhaps what the bottles are internally lined with.

eskimobob said:
That looks exactly like my bottle - the only difference is that mine is food grade CO2 whereas that is not necessarily food grade. In reality, there is apparently no difference between the two (they are probably filled at the same plant) apart from perhaps what the bottles are internally lined with.

I honestly don't think there's a difference. Too many admin problems.

Anyone reckon I should go up the gas place and find out?

jamesb said:
eskimobob said:

I honestly don't think there's a difference. Too many admin problems.

Anyone reckon I should go up the gas place and find out?
Go James go :party:
Do it for the good of the forum ;)

Always amuses me when the 'food grade C02' is wheeled out. :) C02 is C02. There is no other form as it would then become 'C0blackpudding2' or something. :)

:wha: I wonder if you can adapt a regular CO2 regulator to use disposable gas cylinders :hmm:

Sean_Mc said:
:wha: I wonder if you can adapt a regular CO2 regulator to use disposable gas cylinders :hmm:

I'd never payout for a disposable gas cylinder, get a pub one :thumb:
As it's been said, when you have a large bottle you can use without worry! £££££££££££

Parva said:
Always amuses me when the 'food grade C02' is wheeled out. :) C02 is C02. There is no other form as it would then become 'C0blackpudding2' or something. :)

I think you have to be a bit careful there - Agreed CO2 is CO2 :thumb: but depending on the bottle it is stored in it may or may not be classed as "Food grade". That may or may not bother you but it is only fair to point it out and let the interested person make an informed decision :cool:

Back