Gas for Corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BarnsleyBrewer said:
Sean_Mc said:
:wha: I wonder if you can adapt a regular CO2 regulator to use disposable gas cylinders :hmm:

I'd never payout for a disposable gas cylinder, get a pub one :thumb:
As it's been said, when you have a large bottle you can use without worry! £££££££££££

I have a small converted fire extinguisher now, but am having trouble finding somewhere to fill it. I'm okay at the moment, but hope to get another couple of cornies next week.

Think I better get a bigger bottle

There's a place in Mold that should do it, but I wouldn't be happy about using a fire extinguisher. Depends how it's been converted I suppose.

I'll see if I can find the link.

HERE

Thanks James, just looked at mine and its a converted Chubb Co2 Fire Extinguisher bottle.

I'll look around for a proper bottle

Sean :thumb:

Sean_Mc said:
Thanks James, just looked at mine and its a converted Chubb Co2 Fire Extinguisher bottle.

Try Keygas in Johnstown. That's where I get mine from.

jamesb said:
Sean_Mc said:

Try Keygas in Johnstown. That's where I get mine from.

Just phoned them James and they only want £10 +vat

Thanks again

Sean :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
jamesb said:
eskimobob said:
That looks exactly like my bottle - the only difference is that mine is food grade CO2 whereas that is not necessarily food grade. In reality, there is apparently no difference between the two (they are probably filled at the same plant) apart from perhaps what the bottles are internally lined with.
I honestly don't think there's a difference. Too many admin problems.
Anyone reckon I should go up the gas place and find out?
Go James go :party:
Do it for the good of the forum ;)

We're going to go one better. As soon as certain people get back from installing the things, we're going to run both gasses through an ICP-MS or SRMS.

I did ask when I went to Key gas, he thought I wanted the gas for welding, but explained I wanted for a home bar. Shrugged his shoulders and it will be fine
My Norm's chubb extinguisher is still going strong though

Sean_Mc said:
I did ask when I went to Key gas, he thought I wanted the gas for welding, but explained I wanted for a home bar. Shrugged his shoulders and its be fine

Keygas don't distinguish between the two.

They're one of the main pub suppliers around here. There's Beergas Cymraeg too but I don't know where they are.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:
jamesb said:
Not to mention the gas they sell in Halfords.
You weren't supposed to mention the gas they sell in Halfords! :twisted:

What? This one?

DSCF0065.jpg

I am expecting my first cornelius keg shortly. I wasn't planning it as I typically bottle / cask condition, so am looking to keep setup costs down. The halfords gas looks an affordable option for me right now - I don't have any of the connectors yet, so am just planning what I need (I know I need the disconnects, a tap, and some gas and a regulator)

and a pressure gauge, something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40mm-Pressure-Gau ... 4839b63405

and some sort of coupler to get the gauge attached to the regulator ?
not sure of size of threads on the regulator (1/4 " bsp ??) but I couldn't see any suitable connecting hose to fit to it which I could also use to fit the metal barb on the grey disconnect :?

do I need something like this? :idea:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Airbrushing-Braid ... 45edff2527

and then something else to take the 1/8" connector to the barb... ? or just cut it so it can be pushed on and secure with jubilee clip ? :?:

cheers

The gauge port is 1/8" BSPT. The regulator has a port for it, but it's blanked off. You'll just need to remove the blanking fitting.

The output from the regulator is actually a 4mm push fit, I then use a 4mm to 6mm, then a 6mm to 10mm adaptor (available from ebay or pnuematics suppliers) to attach to beer line to the disconnect.

You might just be able to utilise a cheap footpump, as shown in the photo.

Latest posts

Back