TC10 Probe Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I will be controlling fermentation temperature in my thermobox using:

Cooling - 2x short SS cooling coils submerged in the beer connected to a beer line chiller
Heating - Aquarium Heater submerged in the beer
Control - TC10 Temp Controller

I'm thinking that it would be worth getting the SS probe from Forttex clicky does anyone use one and can it be submerged fully?

Also, does anyone else temp control fermentation in the same way? Any Gotcha's to watch out for?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the SS one isn't meant for full immersion. The plastic one is definately alright. That being said, I'll got the SS one fully immersed in a bottle of water at the moment as I'm testing my fridge out. It's been there for a fortnight and it's still ok.

You can get third party replacements though with more industry standard fittings.

I Don't like dangling those heaters in my wort, but essentially I do the same as you are planning but with my heaters on the outside of the FV . . . Tricky with a TB though . . . although I am investigating a solution from Omega UK that might solve that.

Or to have the TC 10 switch a couple of solenoid valves to swap between warm water circulation and cold water circulation

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. . . . plus the fact that it is in effect a 'spot' heater with the risks of overheating small volumes of wort . . . and the f*cking thermostat is about as accurate as a monkey with a stick ( I hated them in my aquaria, and really detest them for brewing :twisted: )

:lol:

I never found them a problem, except when they stop working. Mine is almost retired now though.

I can name at least one commercial brewery that uses them too. :whistle:

I've been using an ATC800 & ATC800+ with the stainless probe submerged in my beer without any issues. It wasn't until I cleaned it the first time that I realised the sheath wasn't bonded to the stainless, it was just a snug fit. I've still carried on using it, mainly cause I had no replacement.

I recently ordered another ATC800+ and forgot to state stainless probe on the order, and a plastic one was sent.
I have to say that I prefer the plastic one as it's fully sealed unlike the stainless jobbies. I will be ordering another plastic probe to replace the ss one I have at present :thumb:

jenki said:
Aleman said:
and the f*cking thermostat is about as accurate as a monkey with a stick

:rofl:

True, but as I said i'll be using it with a TC10 so that's not a concern :thumb: probably worth a mention tho for anyone who's hanging their hat on one for total control .. :?

Personally I've not had a problem with the thermostats on an aquarium heater/stat.
Once set to the required temperature, they stay put :thumb:
But you can't believe the temperature scale that comes with the "dial in" type ;)

Just to add my tuppence - I don't like the idea of the aquarium heaters either. I use my TC-10 to control the temp of an old heat belt and then wrap the whole kaboodle with a sleeping bag. It seems to do the trick admirably.

Latest posts

Back