my thermometers are rubbish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolix

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just had my strike water ready via my pid and pt 100 so though id check with the trusty old thermometer . PID said 81 thermometer said 89 :eek:. so tried other PID it said 81 so tried other thermometer it said 90.

Just had the thermometers in the pan not touching the bottom the first said 104c the second 106. That means I have been mashing well under temp for a long while :x

Oh well you live and learn

Are your pid's calibrated???
I know I had to knock 10-11 degrees off mine when I first set them up and now double check every 2 months.

tubthumper said:
check your thermometrs not difficult
water boils at 100C
and ice melts at 0C

Only at sea level as altitude increases the boiling point of water decreases.

So if you lived on the top of Scafell Pike (978m) water would boil at 96.803 Centigrade.

So it will be possable to get a slight inaccuracy of a degree or two due to altitude even in the uk.

snail59 said:
tubthumper said:
check your thermometrs not difficult
water boils at 100C
and ice melts at 0C

Only at sea level as altitude increases the boiling point of water decreases.

So if you lived on the top of Scafell Pike (978m) water would boil at 96.803 Centigrade.

So it will be possable to get a slight inaccuracy of a degree or two due to altitude even in the uk.
And don't forget pressure varies daily with the weather... And it's not pure H2O coming out your tap...

It's all about acceptable errors, there's no way you need to know temperature to 5 significant figures

Strange how this forum works; I have just tested my thermometers as I seem to be getting conflicting readings from my thermometers(3) PID and electrinic thermometer with probe.

At a range of 15-35degC they all agree quite well. :thumb:

But the higher the temp the more I do not trust the standard glass beer thermometer. :hmm:
So did a boiling water test. 1st thermometer read 110, the second 105, the electronic and probe 99.8 and the PID 99(it does not show 10ths)

At 66, one glass thermometer shows 63, the other 68, one showed 66 :clap:

Can I go back to the guessing that seemed to work fine 15years ago? :lol:

If you only have one thermometer you have nothing to contradict it; not knowing is bliss :wha:

This brewing lark is fun eh?

When calibrating thermomters (or checking their accuracy in this case), you really need to be measuring the temperature of the steam and not the body of water or liquid.
Going back to my Uni days (admittedly a while ago now), we were taught to check thermometer accuracy by holding the bulb just above the spout of a boiling kettle.

HTH

I also noticed at the weekend that if you immerse too much of the glass thermometers, they read differently (can't remember whether it was more or less) than when stuck in to the recommended 76mm immersion depth.

Latest posts

Back