Youngs Raspberry & Mango Cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it to the full two weeks. Your going to get that sulphur smell it's a common thing it seems by many people so don't need to worry about that.

It's probably sweet because it hasn't had time to develop flavours it should balance out in time

I`ll leave till Thursday then - but the reading of 1.01 seems high to me? thought it would go to 1 or lower

Looking back at my notes I bottled mine when it was 1.007(as I used some apple juice so sugar content was higher) and looking at the orginal instructions say to bottle when it reaches 1.006. The strawberry and lime is slightly different as that in the orginal instructions says 1.001 so either way your probably ok. I can assure you however the flavour does develop quiet considerable having after a month and leaving it for about 4. It's very drinkable after 1 but it has that scrumpy kind of mouthfeel I thought.

I pitched this tonight at the request of the missus. She was supposed to be helping but got bored waiting for the water to boil.

Anyway, it smells really good and I got an OG of 1.044.

Hi everyone I have also purchased one of these kits and can't wait for it to arrive. I will be shortening it to 20L and also replacing 5L of water with applejuice like BrannBrew. I'm currently doing a basic cider using apple juice and WLP775 and have quite a bit left. I'm woundering if its worth swapping out the youngs yeast and replacing it for the WLP775 as I think its probably the better yeast. Think its worth a try?

Hi, beginners question: Why do you substitute apple juice for 5L of water? What effect does that have? Thanks

Hi, beginners question: Why do you substitute apple juice for 5L of water? What effect does that have? Thanks

You make it short so it tastes better and it will be a little stronger and you add apple juice and less water for the same result.

Back