Glycol chiller - maxi chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawfordid

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 7 gal brewtech chronical fermenter which I love but is an all ache to cool if doing lagers and can't crash cool. Was thinking of getting a glycol chiller or something similar to help unfortunately they all cost a fortune so have been looking at using a maxi chiller - I came across these guys online who have converted a maxichiller to glycol and apparently can use to cool vessels - in just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these before or used this website in the past?

Thanks
Innes

your probably better off ebaying a £20 shelf chiller, and running it as is. Do you have any hard information that states the FV wont chill to the coolant temp? as a standard shelf chiller keeps water @ 0C quite comfortably. I use a standard shelf chiller with an aquarium pump and inline tube heater for temp control of my 80l thermopot fv using a square product coil immersed thru the lid.

10524410133_5f15c53160.jpg

to use glycol in one you need to exchange the temp control And consider the extra burden the more viscous coolant will have on the pump not forgetting the issues surrounding using a toxic fluid in close contact with valuable beer ;) Unless you need to chill below 0C Why bother??

U got any links for one of these as it sounds exactly what I want but struggling to find it on google for anywhere near that amount!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEER-CHIL...628334?hash=item25d19eb1ee:g:a2EAAOSwTM5Yx670

is the only bargain priced auction a quick look turned over, lots of silly priced ones, bit like busses perhaps you can wait an age and 6 will turn up.. there are still a few pubs left to close surely? or is it all weatherspoons now?

i have picked up 2 off ebay, a £20 'bargain' which involved half a days drive there n back to collect, which while faulty turned out to be a simple electrical component failure (agitator motor control) which when addressed has been re-purposed for the FV temp control.

the 2nd was on my doorstep (20 mile return pickup) and a lot cleaner so i decided to spend a whopping £50 for a 4 line maxi 310 with recirc pump which has ran from purchase every summer for serving..

they do appear as genuine auctions and sooner or later one will be on offer near you im sure, and now is a good time to buy, come summer there will be much more interest..

Also if passing a closed pub with a skip outside dont be shy.. if you dont ask you dont get :)

imho consider spending £50-75 on one thats been user refurbished (dusted and polished) on your doorstep

but some ebay ads £100+ some £300+?? ffs you can buy a flash chiller for that sort of money:) http://www.lindr.cz/products/pygmy-25k

Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap one of these for a while but as you say people keep asking silly money for a second hand one! Also I'm unfortunately based up in the north of Scotland which makes collecting a little tricky in most instances without crazy round trips!

Thanks for the advice! I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap one of these for a while but as you say people keep asking silly money for a second hand one! Also I'm unfortunately based up in the north of Scotland which makes collecting a little tricky in most instances without crazy round trips!
Wouldn't have thought you'd need a chiller in Aberdeen. Just avoid brewing on that one warm day of the year.:lol:

I was thinking of a maxicool connected to my chronical brewmaster with integrated coil. What liquid is used in the system and can it be used with the inkbird. Also does it need a separate pump.

The microbrewery I sold in November had a maxi 210 that cooled 200L FV to 6C using the built in python pump and water.

Bought a maxi cool 110 and it works great in my 7 gal brewmaster. Temp control with inkbird and heat belt. Also just got a corny so will use the chiller to give cold beer. So double whammy.

Last edited:
Back