Kit Tweaking. How to customise and improve upon a basic kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking more chocolate mint stout. Cocoa nibs with mint extract. Only want a hint of mint.
Not for everyone admittedly :)Cheers for the reply.

I've been reading through the kit recipe guides on the Cooper's website (which to be honest seems a great resource) and there's a number of brews on there suggesting using two cans e.g. https://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/117/

Has any one tried anything similar with other canned kits? Is there much benefit doing a brew with two single can kits, than one two can kit?

Today I started a munstons connoisseur pilsner. And when boiling water I added a handful of mango chunks. Just to try and make light fruit drink for the warmer days if we have any left.. hope it's a nice out come and not wasted my time
Screenshot_20180605-122117.png

I’ve purchased dried hop pellets “Challenger”. How many grams would you recommend to add to my 2 can extract beer kit ?

Thanks for reading my post

I’ve purchased dried hop pellets “Challenger”. How many grams would you recommend to add to my 2 can extract beer kit ?

Have you started it already? If so

If you've started the beer already youl be dry hopping in which case if you like hoppy beers you can use a whole pack (50-100grams)

If you haven't started the brew yet you could make a small 20-30min boil. Using one can in about 4 litres of water adding about 10 grams at the beginning and 10grams at flame out

Allow to cool to around 65 degrees and add to the fermenter containing the other cans contents, stirring and topping off with water to the desired level

Hope this helps

Have just come back to brewing after 6 year lay off. I first tried the Wilko Winter Warmer as kit and it was a good pint. The next one to try was Wilco Newki which I added brewing sugar instead of white table sugar, the result was a fuller bodied brew which was excellent, one I will definitely do again. The last one which I bottled yesterday was a Wilko Light Golden Lager. I brewed as kit with a few changes, firstly I added 500gms of Brown sugar plus 500grms of Munstons Spray Malt D.M.E. The yeast I used was a Wilko Yeast (ale yeast) I used this as I wanted to get a good ferment, realising it will add a slight ale flavour. I fermented from 1.045 down to 1.011 it took 10 days. At this stage I siphoned it off the sediment and transferred it to garage for 2days. I then bottled 10 litres as it was, then I added a hop tea made with 25 grams of Goldings hop made in a cafeteria at 80 degrees for 30 minutes, then bottled it. I will let you know the result of this experiment. If anyone can give me any advise on my procedures feel free. I would like some advice on what better kits to buy next.

@Rog.T.B.
Sounds like you are doing the right things already athumb..
Otherwise try these
1. Maybe useful although you are maybe past some of the suggestions.... https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
2. Mini or micromash...
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/simple-kit-plus-mini-mash-method-to-improve-a-kit.52938/
3. Kit reviews here ..
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-reviews-a-z.77650/

I find Coopers one can kits are a good basis for kit tweaking. In particular the stouts are good and you can enhance them without too much trouble.
Coopers recipes are here
https://us.diybeer.com/brewing-info/recipes
And if you like a malty bitter the Wherry kit is OK although I split mine into two halves brew short but add different extras to each half. Ideal since they now come with two packets of yeast.
Otherwise if you fancy spending a bit more then try one of the premium kits, which don't require any add ons. the Festival and Youngs American ranges get good reviews

I did an experimental christmas beer based on the youngs simply IPA kit. I messed up while siphoning into bottles, it got all stired up and so I decanted the remaining cloudy mess into a demi john. I added 6 crushed cloves and a teaspoon of nutmeg and left it for four days to re-settle. I bottled this into nine 330ml bottles . its come out interesting and something i'd do again.

Another I tried a while back was wilcos pale ale. I found it a little bland so towards the end of fermentation I dropped a chopped up chunk of root ginger into the fermetor. That created a quite decent badger blandford flyer style beer.

Could anybody recommend one of the Festival kits that are of light ale type. Cheers.

Chippy, which ones on the list would you recommend and I will in future be more patient for my reply’s. Cheers.

Read the reviews of some of the kits you think you might like.
Be aware that we are all different and the only opinions and tastes that really matter are your own.
So take a chance.
Do it.
:hat:

Have just bottles Festival Golden Stag, tried it and it tastes quite citrusy, but I will try and wait a couple of weeks before I have a pint, this will not be easy. Last night I had one of my last 5 bottles of Wilco Newki which I bottled in January, only changes were 1KG of brewing sugar and Wilco ale yeast. A good pint. Am starting new brew today Young’s A.P. A.

Attachments

• B1D8439C-9E7E-47B8-B2E7-ACEFAD08400D.jpeg
    B1D8439C-9E7E-47B8-B2E7-ACEFAD08400D.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have finished my first Simply pale ale brew it tasted ok ,a bit of a yeasty smell but I think I need to leave it a little longer !

I’m gluten intolerant so a bit limited , I was considering doing another gluten free Simply pale ale kit but dry hopping with a citra hop to give more of an American IPA taste will this work
Also can I dry hop at the end of the fermentation in the same FV if so any ideas how many hops to add to a 23 litre batch
Also is it better to buy the pellet or leaf hops

I’m also experimenting with a Wilko Cerveza & added Clarity Ferm to clear out the Gluten after 14 days fermenting still seems very cloudy

Golden Stag sounds like the one you want. Read the reviews on this site.
Good advice on Golden Stag, it is the best I have made to date. Followed it with Young’s A.P.A another great pint, followed with Coopers I.P.A which I tweaked with crystal malt 100g, flaked barley 50 g, for head retention which worked, light D.M.E500g, brewing sugar 500g and Wilko Garmin yeast. The result was good but a little more bitter. I have just bottled a Muntons Wheat beer, will look forward to tasting in couple of weeks.

Back